Tuesday, June 01, 2010

ElectricSpec!


Another graveyard photograph on which I based these lines for Dark and Disorderly:

The lots in this part of the cemetery ignored the tidy rectangles in the newer section on the flat field below the hill. So I found myself muttering "sorry" under my breath as, by necessity, I ducked under bushes and trod on resting places and sunken slabs to take a quick catelogue of names as I spiraled the pit...

Thank you so much, those of you who took the time, which is always in short--sometimes desperately short--supply, to visit the Carina Press blog and/or leave supportive comments on my debut posts as a Carina author!

And the latest issue of ElectricSpec, that e-magazine of "shockingly good works of science, fiction, fantasy and the macabre,"contains an interview with me by editor Betsy Dornbusch, aka, Sex Scenes at Starbucks. My very first interview as a soon-to-be-published-for realz-novelist!

~beams at Betsy~

For those of you who might be interested in submitting something to ElectricSpec, the editors's blog with news and clues may be found here.

The Ello Basket of Goodies:

Besides a large package of large and individually wrapped Choco-Pies, Ello sent me a package of Shin Ramyun gourmet spicy noodle soup and one of Sapporo Ichiban soup.

And the squid. Wild squid. Shredded into ivory, noodle-like strips.Smells of fish, lobster, shrimp, of the sea. Chewy. Tastes a bit like smoked herring, but milder. A handful makes a nice snack.

And that's the lot, and it was lovely.

20 comments:

Frank Baron said...

Your excitement and happiness is contagious. Do you recall Martin Short's character Ed Grimley? I'm thinking of the skit "The Fella Who Couldn't Wait For Christmas."

That's what your post put me in mind of.

Ah, a little digging and via the miracle of YouTube, here's Marty (in case you need a refresher):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmz7z-nBUek&feature=related

Ride the high, Bernita. You've earned it. :)

Natasha Fondren said...

I love ElectricSpec!

I somehow missed your Carina Press posts! Off to read now!

laughingwolf said...

yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

will check out betsy's interview in a bit, got a doc appointment to get ready for first...

fairyhedgehog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fairyhedgehog said...

Your book looks amazing. I really want to read it.

(I had to delete my previous comment. I couldn't bear the typo!)

sex scenes at starbucks said...

It was a pleasure, Bernita. Here's wishing you all success with the book! I'm just glad to do my part...

Thanks Natasha!

Bernita said...

Frank,thank you... I can't prtetend I'm not excited and happy about it!

No wonder, Natasha...a premier magazine.

LW, you give great support!


Thank you, Fairy...I suppose I shouldn't mention that one of my Carina posts has three or four typo errors...

Betsy, it was wonderful of you and I so appreciate it!

writtenwyrdd said...

It was a nice interview. Saw it yesterday.

laughingwolf said...

good stuff, betsy!

good works get my support all the time, bernita :)

[doc visit went well, but i did get soaked by a massive downpour]

Bernita said...

Yesterday, I was saying "thank you" for what seemed like a hundred times, Written - and trying to express how delighted I was that people actually took the trouble to say nice things!

Thank you, LW, glad. Wanted to know but didn't like to ask.

raine said...

Very well-done interview.
And thank you for taking us along on this publishing journey with you.
(and you should probably get used to doing interviews--I suspect this is just the beginning). ;)

laughingwolf said...

he used liquid nitrogen to zap a few blemishes... now gotta wait for em to heal... no biggie :)

wv: snatious [love it!]

Bernita said...

Thank you, Raine. Betsy made it easy.
The biggest thing I'm going to have to learn is not to repeat myself!

Oh good, LW. Nothing serious then.

Lauren said...

I love pictures of graveyards...all the history and stories of the people who are laid to rest beneath my feet always moves me.

I leave the blog world for a couple months and I'm ecstatic to come back and see all you've done! That's so great! Congrats on the book :)

Bernita said...

Lauren, you sweetheart! Thank you.
I feel the same about graveyards, especially about the older graves where the markers often give details about the lives of the people beneath.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool. I definitely want to read the interview.

jason evans said...

I'm always sorry to see monuments disappearing into the ground. That was what they were meant to resist.

Bernita said...

I fear I repeated myself later, Charles.

I know, Jason, or what is worse-discarded.

archer said...

Now I'm hungry.

OT: I just read a really great quote from David Foster Wallace: "Good writing makes the reader realize how smart he is."

One of these days someone will solve this s/he business.

Bernita said...

It was all delicious, Archer.

That is a truly great quote. Thank you.

Don't think it is solvable.I often use the s/he.Sentences to avoid it often come across as awkward constructions. If one is writing about romance, one can safely get away with "she," most of the time, but men write it too.
Same with "he" for action/adventure. Women write it as well as men.