Friday, May 07, 2010

Other News



One of over 300 photographs from the 1893 World's Fair, known also as the Columbian Exposition, from a heavy, tatty book I rescued years ago, don't know what to do with, and am about to consign to the attic.

This photograph is of "Kalihl Nasair, an Arab from Deir-el-Kammer in Syria. He is a grandee in his native village and conducts affairs with a high hand. This man has a peculiarily fascinating face, the average scowl of his race being absent. He is well aware of his good looks and is never so pleased when he can promenade the Midway, knowing he is admired..."

The guy is actually taller than he appears. My scanner shortened him by at least a foot.

The Wikipedia article gives fair coverage of the Chicago event.

Whee!:
Ello held a contest for a basket of Asian treats (including dried squid and Monako cookies) and an Amazon gift card.
Carrie Harris and I won it!

Visit Ello to see the goodies. I will try a different one each day and give a comsumer report here on the blog.

Ello also posted an interview with R.L.LaFevers - author of the Theodosia books - conducted by her daughter Summer. It's the best interview I've ever read. Period.

Good writerly stuff:

Fashion Trend?:
Have noticed many women newscasters are wearing elaborate pectoral necklaces.




22 comments:

Kaz Augustin said...

Oh, hopefully the squid is that hot, sweet type. J doesn't come near me for for an hour afterwards. Mmmmmmmmm. Squid....... Also, mmmmmmmmmmm, seasoned seaweed. Look forward to reading your own opinion of these delicious, delectable, you're-nuts-if-you-don't-like-it food. No pressure. ;)

laughingwolf said...

grats again, you two harris hex mistresses ;) lol

await your culinary comments :D

Bernita said...

Going to be an adventure, Kas!

"hex mistresses"...what a great expression, LW!

sex scenes at starbucks said...

Maybe I'll sound stupid, but what's an elaborate pectoral necklace?

raine said...

There's something about the dim, gray quality of old photos like this that makes them seem...ghostly. Mr. Nasair's pose would make him an interesting Reaper.
Congrats on your basket of goodies, lol. Awaiting your opinion. :)

laughingwolf said...

thx, wuffs do things ;)

Charles Gramlich said...

I like the sword half drawn.

Bernita said...

Maybe I'm wrong to use the word, Betsy, but I think it's one that covers a good part of the chest.
Tjey've been wearing some quite gorgeous ones.

You're right, Raine. He would be one more interesting that the usual skeletal type.

I'm really looking forward to it...there may be chocolate involved as well!

Apparently, he loved to pose, Charles.

BernardL said...

I enjoyed the Jim Butcher article but I doubt I could write using his outlined method. It's certainly worked well for him. :)

sex scenes at starbucks said...

Ah, I get it. No, I think you're right.

It's just funny to think of pectoral on a girl, maybe...

Of course, that's me assuming they're girl newscasters.

writtenwyrdd said...

Oh, wow, I want to scan that book and use it for art reference.

writtenwyrdd said...

It's cool to win stuff on the internet. I just got a copy of John Scalzi's "Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded." Hi-larious! I'll be sure to pass it along to someone else to read, it's that funny.

Bernita said...

I got a few clues from his advice, Bernard, and heaven knows I needed them!

Wimmin, Betsy.

Written, you can have my copy - if The Plans aren't derailed.It's really tatty but the photographs aren't damaged.

Steve Malley said...

Loved that photo-- I seem to recall something about the Columbia Exposition and an early serial killer, but the association eludes me. More coffee needed, or, if not exactly needed, imbibed anyway...

Jim Butcher's blog is NEAT. I liked the earlier posts better than the later, but they're all gold!

Bernita said...

Isn't it, Steve? So plain and practical. And he's funny!

Could be.I'm too lazy to look it up.
This book mentions Little Egypt and the introduction of "hoochie coochie" to North America, and refers to Chicago constantly as "the White City" - apparently because of gas-lights and stucco at the exhibition.

Suzanne Perazzini said...

I want me a pectoral necklace. I'm going to google it.

writtenwyrdd said...

That is so cool, Bernita! Thanks!

Whirlochre said...

As long as the women newscasters with the elaborate pectoral necklaces don't start weilding swords, we should all be OK.

Bernita said...

Suzanne, they are cool, I think.

Weitten, glad to find a home for it. It's big.

Whirl, those women are so sharp they don't need swords.

Gabriele C. said...

*shoes away plotbunny*

Don't need any Arabs in my novel; too much research and the thing is a mess already anyway. ;)

Bernita said...

Garbiele, you're right! He is a plot bunny!

sylvia said...

The Devil in the White City is a fascinating book about the Chicago World Fair and serial killer Dr H.H. Holmes.

It's fascinating, I really recommend it.

Also, there's a book from EE minion DeAnna Cameron on the belly dancers at the fair which I very much enjoyed. Evil Editor: Success Story has the details.