Thursday, May 20, 2010

Of Widgets and Stuff



Remember when widget meant some hypothetical gadget or, more often, just a doohickey gizmo or a whatsis thingy?

Do check out my Carina doodad above this post!

It allows Carina to rotate titles, authors and excerpts with an automatic refresh and update, so readers can sample chapters and bios and stuff within the widget!


The widget is so avant-cool! Boggles my mind.

Something else boggles my mind.

Seems there continues to be in some quarters a confusion about the nature of Carina Press-- probably arising from the fact that Harlequin Enterprises announced their intention to launch a publishing service in association with Author Solutions within a week or two of announcing the launch of their new e-pub imprint, Carina Press.

Dell Art, as it came to be called, is pay-to-publish venture, a vanity press. Carina Press is most emphatically not.

And I hopetogeesus none of you think I am paying to have Dark and Disorderly published. The idea is, frankly, mortifying.


* * * * * *

Yesterday, Francis, my grinning Parcel Man, delivered to my door a box from Ello.

If you remember, I won, in her recent contest, Ello's basket of oriental treats, which promised to include such delicacies as dried squid and Monaka (two items I lusted after in particular.)

Ever since I read a passing reference to bean paste in some book or t'other I've wanted to try it. And the squid! Wouldn't you? Though this town of mine sometimes imitates Alice's Restaurant, such products for taste exploration are unavailable.

And I promised to report my sensations about each item, because, to me, everything would be new and adventuresome and exotic.

First, the Monaka - bean cake.

A package of eight round cakes of sweet red bean paste between thin rice wafers imprinted with a chrysanthemum design, individually wrapped in translucent waxed paper. The wafers taste like ice cream cone but with a more delicate flavor. The bean filling is gummy but yummy. A nice, medium sweetness. For those who care, 100 calories per cookie.
There are two left...

25 comments:

jason evans said...

As Carina ramps up, I'm sure its reputation will cement in the right place too.

laughingwolf said...

never thought for an instant you paid carina, m'dear!

agent janet reid posted about the other maroons some time back, seems to be a trend in the biz... she's no fan of those clowns, either, but acknowledges that's the only way some tales will ever get printed

saving the best for the last, i see! dried squid likely tastes akin to the dulse of this area... tad salty/smelly, but almost edible ;) lol

good to know the cakes are good :)

wv: farce [kid you not!]

BernardL said...

Nice widget. It's not a sin to self-publish, but it makes getting more readers than your Aunt Alice and Cousin Louie kind of difficult. :)

fairyhedgehog said...

I never for one moment thought you'd gone for vanity publishing!

Bernita said...

I hope so, Jason. Ironies between urban legend and urban fantasy!

Am glad, LE. A number of big publishing houses are adding that option, Writer Beware listed another just the other day.It's a clear trend.
I love dulse!
WVers are becoming psychic, I swear.

Bernard, I make a clear distinction between self-publishing and "vanity" publishing - even though they may same share some characteristics.
I certainly don't think of you as a "vanity" author.
Konrath, for example, has proved the difference, the opportunities and, at least in his case, the profit.

Fairy, thank you!
~relieved~

Charles Gramlich said...

There's often a lot of confusion with a new press hitting the streets, especially with an ebook focus. The same thing happened with POD books, which everyone at first assumed was pay to pub but when was really used by lots of small legitimate presses.

BernardL said...

I am most definitely a vanity author. The manuscripts were piling up with no takers and the self publishing price became pretty reasonable. I was getting too long in the tooth to wait for seeing something in book form. I had rejections going back to the late 70's. I sold enough to recoup my publishing costs but it is most definitely 'vanity' publishing. There are manuscripts piling up now and if I get no bites on them I will eventually go the LULU way. :)

I never for a moment thought your novel was self published. I've checked out and submitted to Carina Press so I knew they were the real deal.

Bernita said...

Charles, that confusion still exists. Have seen agents - who to my mind should know better - conflate the process with vanity.
In fact, used by a great number of respectable indie publishers.

Bernard, I simply don't agree that you are a vanity author. Someone who in essence hires a printing service like Lulu is a self-publisher, and a far, far cry from the poor cluless type who forks over thousands to an author mill.

Gabriele C. said...

I hope there will be a printed version some day. I can see the growing appeal of ebooks for many, but I hate reading from a technical device - an e-reader will not enter my household. ;)

raine said...

Re: widget...geez, can't keep up with all the advances. I see the feature on my blog adminstration, and eye it suspiciously as I move on, lol.

And I thought that rumor about Carina had been put to rest long ago!

There are two left...
:D

Bernita said...

It would be nice if it does reach print, Gabriele.
At least Carina offers a pdf version that doesn't require an e-reader.

Hee, Raine, seems there are widgets for just about everything!

Nope, a poster at Bookends yesterday pontifi...aired that particular calumny.

archer said...

I gaze in awe. You are hipper and savvier than a Brooklyn rock band.

Bernita said...

C'mon, Archer, that's laying it on too thick!
Notice the little grab tab in the corner? No talent required. Carina's gnomes did all the work.

Angie said...

I don't think anyone who's been paying attention to that particular hornet's nest thinks Carina is a vanity press. Dell Arte, absolutely, but not Carina.

And the Monaka sound wonderful. :D

Angie

Bernita said...

Angie, I suppose it is those who haven't been paying attention who keep the tale alive.

Just a sweet memory now...

Lana Gramlich said...

The Monaka sounds interesting. Unfortunately I'm not very adventurous when it comes to eating. My hat is definitely off to you!

laughingwolf said...

i found dulse highly salty, but it grows on you... and the iodine in it is very healthy :)

Bernita said...

Lana, I'll try new foods in a passive sort of way - if they are put in front of me, but normally I'm a bit timid. Ello made them all sound so attractive!

I've always loved it, LW. Once it was hard to get in Ontario. I'm afraid the salt is one of its guilty pleasures.

laughingwolf said...

that's where i had it first, london, ontario... woman at 3m got it sent to her from relatives in nb, she offered a taste to anyone who wanted a try

Bernita said...

We also had to have it sent up from Down East.

archer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara Martin said...

Bernita, what a tease you are to advise your readers there are only two left...sigh.

Bernita said...

Aww, Barbara, I'm sorry...I intended only to underline what a pig I was!

Whirlochre said...

Technobernita...

Bernita said...

Oh, the ironies, Whirl...