Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Important Trivia


The lovely cover of Anne Frasier's novel Bad Karma - just re-issued by Samhain Publishing - that won the Daphne du Maurier Award.

It's easy enough to find reasons to admire an author one encounters on the net, Anne Frasier is the best-selling author of nineteen novels. Pale Immortal (an Onyx Book, a Penguin Group imprint) ranks as one of my favourite titles for a paranormal.

Admire for their talent, yes. It's not as easy to find a famous author that, as a person, one likes.

I like Anne.

For trivial reasons: such as she's a Libra like me, and a widow. And for less trivial reasons as well. I like her courage and her painful honesty.

******

Was disappointed yesterday. A Yahoo headline announced the discovery of the Fabled Giant Palouse Earthworm.

Oh. Oh. Fabled. Giant. Worm. Oh. Oh. Oh. Fabled. Giant.

I expected something Fortean.
Turns out an adult is only 12 inches long.

******

Doubt demons can shunt praise aside like an out-of-service train.

When Editor Guy emailed me to say he's been at a writer's conference and mentioned my book as a good example to several urban fantasy/magic realism writers, I had a major doubt demon episode.
My first thought was probably as a good example of what-not-to-do....

Which wasn't fair to Editor Guy. Such thoughts are not healthy. I hope it's the oxycodone.

******

Corny joke for Wednesday:

Fifty-one years ago, Herman James, a North Carolina mountain man, was drafted by the Army.

One his first day of basic training, the Army issued him a comb.
That afternoon, the Army barber sheared off his hair.

On his second day, the Army issued Herman a toothbrush.
That afternoon, the Army dentist yanked seven of Herman's teeth.

On the third day, the Army issued him a jock strap.

The Army has been looking for Herman for 51 years.


23 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
writtenwyrdd said...

Love the joke!
As far as doubt goes, I hear you. Perfectly normal reaction. But don't forget: Editor Guy wouldn't be 1) mentioning the incident to you, or 2) saying anything negative about your book to others because he's trying to sell it.

So breathe deep and smell the coffee, tea, roses or whatever gives you some peace of mind. :)

writtenwyrdd said...

And checking out Pale Immortal and Bad Karma both, I'll be putting them on the TBR pile shortly.

Bernita said...

Exactly, Written, but I had to fight through doubt to see that.

Isn't Pale Immortal a perfect title?

writtenwyrdd said...

It certainly has a gothic sensibility!

Charles Gramlich said...

We libras have to stick together. Me and Lana are both liberals.

laughingwolf said...

lol... love it!

as another libran, i concur ;) lol

wv: diabsani [i like it, but feel free to use it]

Anne Frasier said...

hugs, bernita!! and didn't we both marry our husbands (1975 for me) about 3 months after meeting them? hehe!

i so appreciate your post. thank you! not sure about the famous part, but i'll take it.

Bernita said...

Charles (and Lana) and LW, as I once mentioned to Anne, we should set up a League of Libras!
Though I wonder if we're balanced enough...

Indeed we did, Anne!
not sure about the famous part,
And that's another thing I like about you.

StarvingWriteNow said...

Love the joke! That's awesome!

laughingwolf said...

lol... we may not be balanced, but we sure as hell are affable and partay types ;)

Bernita said...

Poor Herman, SWN!
(The joke is probably as old as he is)

And we're good people, LW.

szelsőfa said...

hm, i had to google what a jock trap was and i was less than entertained by the photos provided by wikipedia...erm...could have done without them...
but(t) the joke was fun, anyway :))

Angie said...

When Editor Guy emailed me to say he's been at a writer's conference and mentioned my book as a good example to several urban fantasy/magic realism writers, I had a major doubt demon episode.
My first thought was probably as a good example of what-not-to-do....


We can take turns thwapping one another. :P I'm the same way. My editor has been wonderfully enthusiastic and full of praise for the upcoming tome. I've found myself wondering whether she really means it or whether she says those same things to every writer she works with. And if she really means it, does she know what she's talking about? I'd rather question my editor's judgement than just accept that she's honestly enthused about my book and might be right about its chances of doing well. [thwaps self]

It's probably a common affliction among folks with first novels coming out, but that doesn't make it any less bothersome. :/

Angie

Bernita said...

Oh, SzelsoFa! I can imagine!

Angie, my thought processes exactly! Exactly! During edits,Editor Guy would comment on things he liked too, and I automatically ascribed it to his just being kind .
At least there's no chance of us playing diva.
In your case though, I'm sure your editor's enthusiasm about your novel's success is genuine.

laughingwolf said...

better'n good... we're the best, bernita ;) lol

BernardL said...

Slay the doubt demon... no mercy! :)

writtenwyrdd said...

If you didn't doubt your work a bit, you wouldn't be able to produce good writing. You'd think the first draft was perfect when it was trash! :)

Bernita said...

Hmmm...well... you are anyway, LW.

You made me a picture, Bernard!
Fantasy-style, hot chick outfit, me poised to slash about with a humungous sword!

I suppose, Wyrdd... like some stuff one sees now and then on critique sites.

writtenwyrdd said...

Well, there is a reasonable limit on the doubting thing. Silly doubting when you know better (the scenario you described in the original post) is normal, but not the same thing as what you see on the critique sites by new writers.

jason evans said...

Go Anne!!

She had me at deranged, antique medical equipment (an old blog post). I just roll like that.

Bernita said...

"a reasonable limit on the doubting thing."
Yes. Must. Be. Reasonable.

Jason, she's terrific like that.

laughingwolf said...

together, not solely! :D