Friday, April 09, 2010

Careening with Carina


Spring Joy,

A greeting card from my sweet aunt.

Original by Jung Eon Hwang,
mouth painter.


Three.

The number three has special resonance in many cultures, finding its tidy, balanced way into such power words as triumvirate, triptych, triskelion ... and, of course, into a word beloved by both writers and readers -- trilogy.

This is an over-blown way of introducing a simple fact: I had three main reasons for submitting my urban fantasy to Carina Press.

(1) Angela James. Carina's executive editor. I have long admired Angela James, noting over the years her level-headed, straightforward comments on various topics on various industry-related blogs such as Dear Author. Therefore, any house smart enough to hire her ...

(2) While their emphasis is naturally on romance and its sub-genres, Carina was open to a broad range of submissions and might not automatically dismiss a novel where romance did not constitute the primary and entire plot.

(3) Carina is the digital-first imprint of Harlequin. Not exactly a fly-by-night-here-today-gone-tomorrow publisher. No troubling gambles/questions about competence or expertise.

Of course, there were lesser reasons: submission guidelines were clear, uncomplicated, and complete; to a digital publisher, my e-pub credits, though meager, would not be sneered at; the royalty rate was fair and on cover, not net; and there was the Carina blog.

Again, straightforward, open, informative, author-friendly, and responsive: introducing editors and authors, providing submission and acquisition updates, posting preliminary blurbs and inviting covers (really good covers), keeping hopeful writers current with progress and the process.

Any writer interested in Carina would do well to read and absorb the wealth of information provided in every post on the blog.

The entrails don't stink and the auguries are favourable.



24 comments:

Gabriele C. said...

Browsed the Carina blog right now and saw that Joely Sue Burckhardt's Bloodgate Guardian has found a home there. I've fallen out of contact with her (we both left FM) so I'm glad to see that story 'made' it. I've read snippets which I liked a lot.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've seen some of the writing related stuff they have there and it is quite helpful. a lot of publishers do have some pretty good stuff in their guidelines.

Angie said...

Sounds like you've found a good place. :) I'm so glad this is working out for you!

Angieanti

Bernita said...

The blurb promises an exciting story and I really like the title too, Gabriele.
All the paranormals/urban fantasies they've acquired so far are very different from each other.

And they are open about various editor's tastes as well, Charles.I was very happy to see they don't limit submissions to just romance.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Angie!
It's a bit exciting to be part of the launch of a new imprint.

BernardL said...

A cover can make or break novel sales. I'm hoping you get a great one.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Bernard.I'm really curious to see what the artists produce. A story involving ghosts, afterall...

stacy said...

Can't wait to see this in bookstores.

It's so exciting to watch so many people I "know" online attain these kinds of successes!

raine said...

Have been following their blog posts since their beginning and would agree. Straight-shooting. And it's always interesting to see a new enterprise take off. And have been awed by more than one of their covers. I'll be curious to see Lillie. :)

Such a delicate feel to the artwork. Done by a mouth painter--amazing.

stacy said...

Ohhhh, I didn't make the connection as to what a mouth painter was. Oohhhh, that is unbelievable.

Whirlochre said...

This looks very exciting. Hope you have a lot of success with it.

Chris Eldin said...

I haven't been "surfing" for a while, but am trying to pay visits and wish my friends a Happy Spring!!
Bernita, I'm so excited for you, and happy to read about your writing achievements--- Is it okay to say it's particularly inspirational for me, when I see so many young writers making it, that it's never too late to follow your dream. I've always been a fan of your writing. You're on your way!!!!
I can't wait to hear more about your book, and especially can't wait to see the cover unveiled!!!
:-)

Bernita said...

Stacy, hard for me to believe I am not one of "those!"

And you can even see/feel the breeze swaying the flowers, Raine.
I got a request last night for cover in-put!

Thank you, Whirl. Carina has acquired a number of "known" writers. I'm not, so I have modest expectations.

Chris, thank you, you dear girl!
Surfing through writing blogs, I've noticed an astonishing number of writers who casually mention their grandchildren. It's comforting.

Ric said...

So delighted you finally pursued publication - and to great effect! I knew you had the gift from those long ago days parsing Miss SNark.

Now, if I could just get back on track - I feel as if I'm the only one without the coveted contract.
Perhaps your success, and blow by blow descriptions of the process, will nail my behind to this chair long enough to get it done.

Love you, Bernita, tickled pink by your success.

Bernita said...

Stacy,stupid typo. Should be "now."

Ric, my dearest Ric... And I have been certain also since our halycon time with our beloved Miss Snark that you have that gift - and a better one than mine.
After Mac died, when all his pain, his courage, his valiant battle were for naught, I was within an inch of giving up.
But despair can also be delusion, so I gathered up the remnants of my courage and sent it out to two publishers, one print, one digital. Both showed serious interest. Carina offered first.

laughingwolf said...

nicely done, bernita... and thx for the information :)

laughingwolf said...

oh yeah... and harlequin is owned by the toronto star group, torstar [at least last i looked]

Suzanne Perazzini said...

I'll be watching your journey with Carina carefully to see if they are any different to other e-publishers. I wish you all the best for a great career with them.

Bernita said...

And their most profitable asset as well I believe, LW.The Canadian angle did have a certain influence.

Suzanne, thank you so much. Not that I have much experience, but have been very impressed so far.

Carla said...

Congratulations! I hope all continues to work out well.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Carla. So far, so good!

Steve Malley said...

Your depth of knowledge in both industry and craft are inspiring. I'm so happy for you.

On a different, slightly crazier, note, I often wonder what I would do without use of my limbs, etc. I like to believe that I would have the dedication and tenacity to paint with my mouth, or to write novels with voice-recognition software...

Enough crazy. Back to happy for you. Congratulations!! :D

jason evans said...

They sound like an excellent group! I've been impressed with their posts also.

Bernita said...

Dear Steve. Thank you. But you are deluded. I know damn all.
One can only admire such artists.

And so open and honest about the process, Jason!
As launch date approaches, the blog will naturally shift away from writers toward the readers.