Sunday, December 06, 2009

BAD ICE



Bad Ice,

Sandra Cormier,

romantic suspense,

Champagne Books.


I had to steal the cover shot from Chumplet's blog.

Bad Ice is another book I intended to review last fall -- during that time which remains, in a peculiar co-existant way, both near and distant.

All this week I hunted for the novel to re-read, both for my own pleasure and for this belated review, but the book seems to have disappeared. I suspect one of my daughters has walked off with it.

So my apologies for a book review from memory.

Basically, Bad Ice is a competent romantic suspense about a hockey hero, a psychotic girl friend, and a single mother. The hockey milieu is well done and realistically portrayed.

What raised the book above just an average well-crafted/ nice story/ good read for me, however, was its psychological accuracy -- a certain chilling veracity in the character portrayal of the psychopathic girl friend. Moreover, the actions and reactions of the hero and heroine to her stalker machinations are, from my own experience, entirely authentic. Normal people do not, as a rule, recognize or even understand how truly twisted other minds can become.

And Sandra/Chumplet nailed it.

She is also the author of The Space Between ( Wild Rose Press) and The Toast Bitches (Ravenous Romance.)


When I first began blogging, e-pubs were frequently viewed -- and often dismissed -- as a bottoms-up escapade in dubious taste.

Times have changed.

J.A Konrath's Dec 1 post: 2010 EBook Predictions and Booksquares Nov 30 post: Trendwatching 2010 make the shift clear.
I don't think e-books have to use the back door much longer. What do you think?


24 comments:

StarvingWriteNow said...

I think you're correct. As the world gets more digital, ebooks should slide into the mainstream of everyday living. I know that in my profession (library) as budgets are cut and belts are tightened that having materials in a format that patrons cannot lose or destroy is under heavy consideration.

Bernita said...

One should never forget the effect that libraries have on readership.
Libraries quietly account for a portion of a book's sales.
I learned to use the internet on computers available at my local library.

Chumplet - Sandra Cormier said...

Oh, Bernita, you sneaky, sneaky gal! I didn't expect this nice surprise on a chilly Monday morning. Thank you so much for your review!

Our antagonist Sheila has never been described with such creepy detail!

Extra hugs to you today. Mwah!

Bernita said...

Sandra, I am sorry I wasn't able to get to it earlier - and then to record only impressions of it. I feel I let you down.

raine said...

Congrats, Sandra--I love a well-done psychopath. :)

I hope the predictions are right about e-books. Not that I won't always love the print (don't know what I'd do without my books), but the attitude toward e-books and authors has long needed an adjustment. There is some fine work there.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds like a winning book!

Bernita said...

"There is some fine work there."
Indeed there is, Raine! Yours among them.

If I can remember my reactions after this past year, Charles, I think it says something about the quality of the story.

BernardL said...

I agree. 'Bad Ice' was a very good read. The glimpse into the mind of a scheming sociopath was very realistic.

Bernita said...

"'Bad Ice' was a very good read."
Yep, Bernard, it was.

Natasha Fondren said...

I'm pretty glad about that. Well, I really don't mind. I just hope it works more profitably for writers.

Seeley deBorn said...

It's been a while since I checked, but I'm glad you're back Bernita.

Congrats to the Chumplet!

laughingwolf said...

no thx... i'll keep my paper books!

as for sandra, yupper... she's a damned fine writer!

sex scenes at starbucks said...

Well, since MY book comes out next month from an E-press, and I run an E-press magazine, I guess I like 'em. :)

Liane Spicer said...

Love the review, Bernita. The psychological aspect makes me want to read it. And I will.

Demon Hunter said...

Sandra, your book sounds wonderful. :-D Good job, Bernita. :-D

Bernita said...

Natasha, I suppose profit will depend, as always, on how the pie is sliced.

Thank you, Seeley. Hope all is well with you.

LW, I prefer to hold a book in my little paws too and I don't think print will disappear any time soon - but the increasing...um...respectability of e-pubbing is welcome.A lot of great voices out there.

You've already voted the future, Betsy!

Liane, thank you. So nice to see you!

Thank you, Tyhitia.

jason evans said...

Yay Chumplet!!

archer said...

The main thing about an Ebook is you can seal the gadget in a Ziploc bag and press the buttons through the bag, which enables you to read in the bathtub, thus sparing your 945-page paperback of He Knew He Was Right from the horrible fate it would otherwise have there when it puts you to sleep.

I just read about this somewhere but I haven't tried it.

laughingwolf said...

they may be for some folk, but i look at the prices of e-raders, and CRINGE!

Bernita said...

Yep, yep, Jason!

Archer, you never fail...

They predict those prices will drop substantially, LW.

writtenwyrdd said...

Been meaning to read at least one of Sandra's books. I accidentally bought Black Ice instead of Bad Ice (bad memory!) and that's the closest I've gotten.

Bernita said...

Don't you just hate mind glitches, Written?

writtenwyrdd said...

Mind glitches are a pain. They are the reason I buy at least three duplicate books every year for the past ten.

December/Stacia said...

Hahaha, do you remember the little tiff I got into at Miss S's place over ebooks, with a particular troll who liked to pop up there once in a while and be...well, troll-like?

I admit to not being a bit fan of the ebook format, though. I think if I ever get a proper ereader that would change. There's some great stuff out there from epublishers and I hate having to read them on my laptop. Sigh. :-)