Saturday, November 28, 2009

Personal Demons



The damned-near perfect cover of Stacia Kane's
mmp Personal Demons.

Am really not sure just whom to credit

because the back cover says "cover art

by Dmiti Koksharov" and the frontis page,



From Juno Books, a Pocket Books imprint of Simon and Schuster.

I intended ( but I don't think I did) to review Personal Demons last Fall, back in the time of Before -- not only because Stacia and I go back a long way in blogtime (we met on the blessed Miss Snark's blog when Stacia published under the name December Quinn) and also because Personal Demons is such a delicious read.

I read it again this weekend and it's still a delicious read. I can't really improve on the blurb for a plot teaser. The following both quotes and amends the back cover:
Megan Chase promises listeners to her new radio call-in show that she'll slay "their personal demons," and they believe her. (She's an accredited psychologist after all.) But: So do the demons. Delicious twist #1.
The demons realize she will be a valuable weapon for any demon "family" that gains her allegiance, because their internecine heirarchy includes a dangerous soul-sucker called the Accuser and Megan has certain skills. Megan acquires - without wailing - a handsome demon lover from the demon mafia ( Delicious twist # 2,) and a trio of demon bodyguards: Malleus, Maleficarum - and Spud. Delicious twist # 3.

A thoroughly enjoyable urban fantasy, plot driven, with a nice dry wit and just enough situational comedy. Megan isn't exactly kick-ass but she is no wilting wimp and stands up for herself. Though he "doesn't want to be a hero", her demon lover is also engaging and unusual. And you gotta love Malleus, Maleficarum and Spud.

I am glad I didn't review the book last year after all.

Now I can also report that Demon Inside and Demon Possessed (Megan Chase books # 2 and 3) are or will be available from Juno Books.

And that Unholy Ghosts will be published by Del Rey in 2010.

And I get to name drop. Stacia Kane. I knew her back when!


15 comments:

archer said...

Malleus Maleficarum is pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleus_Maleficarum

I don't know whether the reference is intended lightheartedly or not, but it is definitely a grabber.

Bernita said...

The three are Cockney demon bodyguards. Definitely a lot of light-hearted grabbers in the story, Archer.

raine said...

Be careful what you broadcast, lol.

Love the cover, and it sounds great. Must pick up.
Congrats, Stacia. :)

Bernita said...

It's the red, I think, Raine, which grabs me, and the cover fits the story so well.
Your new cover is smashing too!

Natasha Fondren said...

LOL! Wow, I have to check her out, definitely! :-)

I envy writers with the twisting gene!

laughingwolf said...

i read it around the time you did, bernita, and concur... it's ab fab! :)

writtenwyrdd said...

I loved the book, too. I'm patiently waiting for the new series to come out. Wish it hadn't been delayed.

And I am also tickled to have known December/Stacia since 'back when.' It gives one hope for oneself!

Bernita said...

"I envy writers with the twisting gene!"
She has a nice touch with it, Natasha!

Laughing Wolf, your taste is excellent.

Am so proud of her, Written!

BernardL said...

Personal Demons also has the key ingredient of humor.

s.w. vaughn said...

Ah, an excellent review for an excellent book! I loved Personal Demons, and can't wait to get my hands on the sequels. :-)

Bernita said...

SW,I think Demon Inside is out ( with rave reviews!) and the third expected around Jan/Feb.

December/Stacia said...

*blushes, draws lines on floor with toe*

Thanks Bernita! I've been essentially offline all week so am just seeing this.


And yep, the Malleus Maleficarum reference is lighthearted; well, lighthearted and serious, because of the demon/witch antipathy in this world. :-)

Bernita said...

Stace, I think the trio are an inspired touch. Makes me grin just to roll their names around on my tongue.

Timothy said...

Hello! just to set the record straight on the cover. I had nothing to do with it. - Timothy Lantz

Bernita said...

Thank you, Timothy.