Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tucked Underneath My Arm


photo from the Armories, Tower of London.


Spent the entire weekend ghosting through the Bewares and Background Checks on the Absolute Write forums and am still brain dead from information over-load. They have ( fortunately) a search function that allows for targeted inquiry but I wanted to feel the shape of the site's approach because I'd not utilized them much in the past.

Along with the new potato salad, I became addicted to scroll and click -- absorbed and fascinated with the sheer volume of available information. And the "Bewares" is just one forum.

The site has to be the best resource on the net for writers and also the best example of a "paying it forward" effort to help the ignorant, the innocent, the gormless and the clueless. The "Sticky" posts alone are the equivalent of a course in Publishing 101.

And if one wonders why fast-response agent/editor/publisher hasn't answered a query, one may discover from a board thread that said agent, etc., just /died/moved/married or has spam filter problems or exploding computers.
One may discover which agents/editors/publishers are assholes, which agents/editors/publishers are assholes but effective, and which agents/editors/publishers are consistently courteous, charming and considerate -- so one may govern one's self accordingly.

Sometimes, nothing beats word-of-mouth for up-to-date information.

For most of you, I'm sure, Absolute Write is an old, reliable and frequently consulted source, along with Agent Query and Publishers Marketplace, but it doesn't hurt to recommend it again.

28 comments:

December/Stacia said...

*nods* I think registering at AW is one of the smartest things I ever did.

writtenwyrdd said...

I just look at specific people/agencies when I am in need of info. I don't dare do any browsing because I would waste three or four days in addition to my already bad blog habits. But it is a great site.

spyscribbler said...

I think I need to check this out. It's one of those places everyone goes except me, LOL. Everyone says great things about it.

BernardL said...

They are a tremendous resource, and the comments are many times hilarious. :)

Robyn said...

I'm going to check this one out. I need an effective asshole.;)

Bernita said...

Trememdously valuable, December.

I certainly spent hours on it, Written, and only scratched the surface.

Think you definitely should, Natasha.

Bernard, especially the rare commenter who claims, in effect, "U R all gelous" never having bothered to check out the credentials of the mods and posters!

Robyn, you'll find them there!

sex scenes at starbucks said...

I'm very reliant on publisher's marketplace. I keep my website there (plain as it is) and I've used their lunch deals to find agents to query almost exclusively. That way I know they're selling agents, and they're selling in my genre. It also makes a great lead-in into a query for someone I don't know, "Found you on deals page and based on your recent sales I thought you might be interested in..."

I do need to expand though, so thanks for the reminder.

Bernita said...

SS, you will find Absolute Write a useful supplement.

raine said...

Been there, but not in a while.
Very useful resource.
Thank you.

Charles Gramlich said...

I know of the site but don't use it enough. I haven't been there in quite some time.

Bernita said...

Raine and Charles, was delighted to see the forum pages show updates so one can see if new info is added.

Sam said...

I love that site - and it is incredibly useful for writers. I remember my panic when it was taken down (I can't remember why - server problems? Hosting problems?) But now it's up and running and better than ever.

Oh, and I tried to fix the photo problem at my blog. Hopefully they work now. In my browser they are visible, but I guess they don't show up in everyone's. *le sigh*

Bernita said...

Sam, I find it very user friendly - even for a dummy like me.
Will come and see!

laughingwolf said...

thx bernita, i had not known of these

Bernita said...

Then I'm so glad I posted about them, Laughingwolf!

ChrisEldin said...

AW is a gem. I go in and out of their site, trying to absorb it all.

I would also call it the best writer's resource on the net, regardless of genre.

Steve Malley said...

I haven't been there in a while. Probably time I checked them back out!

Bernita said...

I would too, Chris.

Seems there's always something new, Steve.

Shauna Roberts said...

I hadn't realized how much was at AW besides the Bewares. Thanks for the tip.

laughingwolf said...

me too :)

i made it in time for jason's challenge, great entries there....

cindy said...

oh, i'm so excited for you! i also started at the bewares and backgrounds. maybe you'll see my face on the posts?

sending you OODLES of good luck dust for your querying, b!

Suzanne Perazzini said...

I must admit I sometimes avoid such sites for months on end because of that overload syndrome. I start to get quite anxious while scrolling through such sites because the brain can only absorb so much and everything becomes so over-complicated. But I might have another peep this weekend.

Bernita said...

That's great, Lw! Will look!

Dozens of helpful forums, Shauna.

Cindy, thank you! I did - and beamed every time at your sweet face, knowing you had wonderful success!

Can be overwhelming at first gulp, Suzanne. I've settled down to nibbling now.

laughingwolf said...

thx for your great comment at jason's :)

Barbara Martin said...

Good photo to introduce your post. Kind of like a possible happening to those who enter here.

I agree with visiting these sites before engaging on the hunt for agents or publishers. Thanks Bernita for the reminder.

Bernita said...

It's a great piece of flash, Lw!

And such a nice mix of objective and subjective views/experience, Barbara.

Chumplet said...

For a moment I thought that axe was a hockey stick and got all excited.

I heart Absolute Write and all the kooky people who live there. I try to limit my visits because it's so easy to get sucked into the AW vortex.

Bernita said...

axe >> hockey stick - that would be an interesting game in some brutal dystopian future, would it not?

Yes, I noticed the allure, Sandra, could be an endless time-suck for me too.