Monday, May 12, 2008

My X-files


Since yesterday was Mother's Day, here's an old photo of MommyCorp 's principal shareholders.

Have been trying to reduce clutter. Until 6 BB ( Before Blog) I assiduously collected newspaper clippings on a variety of topics of personal (oddball) interest.

A sample:

1. Scientist records sounds from Norway's 'lake monster':

"Sound seem to have a biological source from its frequency and structure."
Local lore names the fabled creature in Seljord Lake, "Selma."
Under cryptozoology. Amazing the number of occupied lakes around the world. One is not limited to a Lock Ness setting. Universality of folk loric themes.

2. Newts can see Earth's electro-magnetic fields:
"Tiny caps fitted over heads used to test navagation skills."
Red spotted newts. Tiny caps. Natural compasses. Delightful image.

3. Trench art has roots in wartime:
Items made from left-over artillery. I have a paper knife from WWI. Nice to know the name for this form of folk art.

4. Andes' explorer says he's at last in Atlantis:
"The Bolivian town of Quillacas has much in common with Plato's lost city "encircled by mountains that stretched as far as the sea.'"
British explorer expounds his theory in a book Atlantis: The Andes Solution.

5. Old Chinese recipe for apricot preserves:
Pour four cups of water in as pot, throw in an 8 oz. package of dried apricots. Add 1/2 cup of sugar. Slice half a lemon very thin and then chop in tiny pieces. Toss in and stir. Set timer for 30 min. medium heat, no cover. After about 20 min. mash w/potato masher but leave chunks. Stir.
When timer dings, stir to see if thick enough. If not, cook a little longer. Let cool. Put in jars. Store in fridge.
Must try this.

6. Man claiming to be Martian too convincing for own good:
Character sued Shoppers Drug Mart, the Royal College of Dental Surgeons, the Minister of Defence, the CIA and the president of the United States whom he claimed plotted to conceal his Martian origins.
Cased dismissed because: being neither human nor a corporation, he had no standing in Ontario court, and for improper pleading a tort of conspiracy.

7. Angel Guides item:
New Age psychic and angel therapist claims we all have personal angels. They hover around us like ghostly secret service agents, "mostly bored and unemployed."Offers courses in how to "connect" with them by tunning their divine frequency and become "light workers."
Ghostly secret service agents is delicious.

8. Rare penny sells for $32,200 U.S.
"Copper U.S pennies from 1943 are very rare, because the material was needed for the U.S war effort."
Most minted that year were of zink coated steel. A reminder of how the common may have value in certain circumstances.

9. Animal hoarders ill, experts say:
"People with more animals than they can properly care for have an obsessive-compulsive disorder."
Will certainly use this one. Lillie meets a cat lady ghost collecting cat and dog ghosts.

1o. Last Czar Was My Grandpa:
"The Czar's grandson, if he is who he claims to be, is alive and well and living in Northern Ireland, and finds it a little hurtful that not everyone believes his story." He has a book. Of course.
A switch from Anastasia, anyway. Lost heirs/miraculous escape syndrome: Dauphins, etc. Probably related to the popular secret babies trope.
EDIT: Robyn has a Pay-It Forward contest on-going. $20 gift certificate prize.



40 comments:

StarvingWriteNow said...

"Odd News" on Yahoo is one of my regular reads; I love those little snippets. Like Ralphie's father said in A Christmas Story: "Why, that's real news, not that politics slop!" (He read an odd snippet about some clodhopper who swallowed a yo-yo on a bet.)

Bernita said...

People think and do interesting things, WriteNow.

ChrisEldin said...

Bernita, what a beautiful family photo!! :-)

I love the one about the angel guides. Very nice. And the martian man.

The penny bit I read about 6 months ago. Thing 2 had an old penny. It looked like 1943, so I told him to google it and see what it's worth. Can you imagine his screams!?! But then I looked more closely at the date, and it read 1945. The 5 looked like a 3. He was devastated. Poor thing.
:-(

BernardL said...

A wonderful picture, and the Martian with hidden organs was my favorite. :)

Jaye Wells said...

Thanks for sharing those. The last is my favorite. I have a mild obsession with all things Romanov.

P.S. What a wonderful family picture!

Bernita said...

Thank you, Chris.
The idea of personal invisible guardians IS rather nice.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Bernard. I appreciate how the judge did not let herself be side-tracked.

Jaye, thank you. A lack of compatable DNA did not dissuade him.

Roberta said...

Weird news, love it! Our planet is full of such tidbits.

Robyn said...

You have a gorgeous family, dear.

I think those 'odd news' snippets make the real news bearable. And great fodder for the imagination!

Demon Hunter said...

Very interesting, Bernita. Thanks for sharing this. I especially love the one about the secret service ghosts.

I think I may have spent a 1943 penny by accident. :X Lets hope not.

haunted author said...

Your family looks so happy!

I love those odd bit of stuff- I have quite a collection of themmyself. I love the ghostly secret service! I also love how the judge turned the tables on the alien!

Bernita said...

We're a weird and wonderful species,Roberta.

Thank you, Robyn.
"make the real news bearable." That's so true.

Especially the "bored and unemployed" part, my Demon!

Good times, Haunted.
And they make such excellent plot bunnies.

writtenwyrdd said...

Lovely photo, Bernita!

I have old pictures I've saved for reference, some from thirty years ago. I keep thinking I'll draw that and yet I rarely draw these days. But I still hang onto them.

I like the idea of a cat lady ghost collecting animal ghosts.

My Old Cat is relapsing and I may have to put him down on Thursday if he doesn't rally as per usual. I like to think he'll have a ghost collecting him and keeping him company.

raine said...

That's interesting--also used to collect small articles about curious things...

I have a distinct image of little ivy-league newts wearing beanies...

Ghostly secret service, eh? Then why am I always in trouble?

I LOVE the idea of the ghost collecting animal ghosts. Hope you use it. :D

And that, my dear, is a beautiful family and lovely photo.

Lisa said...

What a beautiful photo. I'm especially intrigued by #9. Would a ghostly cat collector have the same issues that a real flesh and blood one would? Surely there wouldn't be a ghostly cat pee problem, right? ;)

Ello said...

Lovely photo! 3 girls and a boy! My hubby is still trying to convince me to try for the son, but I'm pretty sure we'd have 4 girls and I am done anyway!

I love random interesting facts like this, especially the last one. I have been intrigued with the Russian czar/Anastasia story for a long time.

And I hope you had a great Mother's Day!

Bernita said...

Thank you, Written.
I think you're right to save them. Who knows when the urge may strike?
Poor Old Puss.
I definitely plan to write that story.

Thank you, Raine. They are ( and were) such good kids. So much fun.
"ivy league newts" - exactly! And the Gecko ads.

Lisa, thank you. And ghostly fleas...

Bernita said...

Thank you, Ello. I did.
Why give up the odds? Petticoat government rules!

Charles Gramlich said...

Love that one about the "Martian."

Bernita said...

A very neat case, Charles.

December/Stacia said...

Beautiful photo, beautiful family. :-)


Love the new snippets and the cat lady ghost!

December/Stacia said...

BTW, did you see they've identified the remains of every member of the Romanov family? It was in the news a couple of weeks ago--bone chips proved to be from Alexei, Maria, and Anastasia.

Bernita said...

Thank you, December.
Didn't, but it doesn't surprise me. Always thought claims of survival of that massacre were a fantasy.

laughingwolf said...

great family pic, bernita!

i love weird news, too...

my folly is jotting notes on scraps of paper from bits/snatches i hear on the radio

when i find them again, i have no clue why i printed them... lol

Bernita said...

Thank you,
You know, Laughingwolf, I think writers should have a notebook bungee-corded to their little wrists.
I suffer from note scraps too.

laughingwolf said...

that would help... as would some implanted stem cells guaranteed to retain the memory of why the notes seemed so important at the time ;) lol

Jon M said...

Looks like an average week in our local rag!!
really enjoyed those snippets, the notion of bored angels is quite delicious too, I'm going to hunt for mine!

Bernita said...

Mine, I think, have been rather busy of late, Jon.

Jeff said...

Lovely family photo, Bernita.

I'll bet the Norway monster and the Loch Ness monster are related. Probably brother and sister. Something like that. :)

Suzanne Perazzini said...

Great photo.
I have a few ideas for stories taken from newspaper articles but I can't for the life of me flesh them out to make a complete story. Perhaps they will have to become elements of a larger story.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Jeff and Suzanne.

They're described as "cousins," Jeff!
The North Sea connection, I suppose.

Suzanne, I find it interesting on how so many of the New Age guru theories of the 80s and 90s have become the plot lines for many paranormals.

cindy said...

i love the family foto, b. you look gorgeous and the same.

Bernita said...

Cindy, thank you!
My mirror says differently, but it's nice to hear.

Sam said...

Lovely family photo!!!

And the snippets of news are too funny. Love the 'Newts can see the Earth's electro-magnetic field'. Yes, the image of newts in tiny caps came to me too, lol!

kmfrontain said...

Beautiful photo, Bernita.

Yep. Animal hoarders are ill. Definitely, definitely, I say whilst glancing around at my obsessive compulsively collected collection. No, the little poops are not improperly cared for. Latest addition (not really my pet, but the eldest's), a tarantula, and a colony of bugs (mine) to feed it and my lizard.

I have to avoid pet stores, the classified section and on-line classifieds. The tarantula was a result of "noticing" a classified. On the plus side, the poor mother of the teenager who had the tarantula thought I was a saint for purchasing the wee beastie.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Sam and Karen.

With a little propeller on top, Sam!

Karen,I have to stay far, far away from the Humane Society digs as well!
The me want urge is too strong.

SzélsőFa said...

I'm sorry if I did not understand it well, but are you on that photo, Bernita?

There's an interesting website called paleofutre or something like that. It cites news from old times, just like you did, but all the news are projections about our future.
Like someone in the 1960's writing about how personal computers would look like in 2000.
It is an interesting site.

Bernita said...

That does sound like an interesting site, Szelsofa.
My headlines are all from 1999.I began blogging in 05.
Yes, I'm the mother in this photo.

Vesper said...

An absolutely beautiful photo, Bernita!

As for your X-files - very interesting! :-)

Bernita said...

Vesper, thank you.