Monday, December 10, 2007

Weirdly Contest - Third Set


Prize is a copy of Weirdly: A Collection of Strange Stories(Tales).

Scroll back to Dec.7 to read the rules and then forward to enjoy previous entries based on this picture.

Contest ends this Friday.


Entry # 7: Mark Durfee, The Walking Man:

THE TRADITION

The tradition started many ages ago, the lore told, when the bones had been cast and it was the shaman of the tribes own son who was to be sacrificed to the gods of earth, air, water and, sun.

This tale had been passed down from medicine man to medicine man for ages innumerable now. Whether the story was true or not he could not say; it was that far lost in time behind of the tribe. These were the thoughts of this age’s holy man as he watched the night sky and the stars as they moved slowly into their proper place, he was pleased that over time the tradition had changed, especially as he had sons of his own, whom he would not want to lose.

As the evening and night of the sacrifice of the people approached he had directed the middle aged boys to gather the wood for the burning and instructed them on where to stack it in the holy glade. He used this time to see if any of the young ones had the wit to become as he himself was, one he could pass the history of the tribe too.

On the appointed night at the appointed hour the fire was lit and the huge tree was sacrificed to the earth, air, water and sun gods. The people danced and sang prayers to the dying tree that they would prosper in the coming seasons and giving thanks for the trees that went before it.


#8: Jeff Neale of The Write Thing:

HOLDIN ON

“Do you still love me?” Martha asked, as she and Roy rocked together on the porch.
“What kinda question is that?” Roy said, raking his finger through a pouch of Red Man chewing tobacco. “This here stuff is near ten times what I paid for it as a boy. Now what do you think about that?”
“Maybe you ought not be chewin it no more,” Martha replied. “It ain’t no good for you.”
“Shhhhttt.” Roy whistled through his ill-fitting dentures. “I’ll be ninety year old come this winter. What’s it a gonna do, kill me?”
“Might.”
“Then so be it,” Roy said, finally managing to get a pinch of the dark shriveled leaves from the pouch to his mouth. “Now what do you think about that?”
Martha said, “Does it bother you?”
“Does what bother me?”
“Being old like this here.”
“Naw.”
“How come?”
“I look at it this way. You and me is like them two old trees a standin side by side in the pasture over yonder. Wrinkled skin, gnarly limbs, a few broken parts here and there, but still together and holdin on. Now what do you think about that?”
“I think you didn’t answer my question.”
“What was it? I plum forgot.”
“Do you still love me?”
“Yep, just one regret.”
“What’s that?”
“That we cain’t go back seventy years so I could go to courtin you all over again.”
Martha giggled as she reached for his hand. “I love you too, you silly old man.”

14 comments:

StarvingWriteNow said...

Wow, you've had some good entries so far! I think it'll be a tough choice!

Bernita said...

Indeed, it will be, Starving!
I can see myself ending up tossing a coin.

Chumplet said...

I am truly amazed at the wide variety of stories one can create with the help of a single photo.

No, no... coin tossing? You've got your work cut out for you, Bernita.

Bernita said...

That's what made me finally pick this type of contest, Sandra - the indulgent pleasure of reading such varied and creative versions.
Yes. It will be very hard to choose.

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely cool to see all the different views.

raine said...

Yes...as with Jason's contest, it's interesting to see the variety of stories the photograph inspires.
Looking forward to more!

Julie said...

Bernita -

Think the variety is a credit to your choice of photograph - open ended.

Bernita said...

Each one is a surprise, Charles.

More tomorrow, Raine.

Thank you, Julie. I picked a picture that prompted me to imagine at least six different scenarios, but one really has to credit the writers.

Shauna Roberts said...

I'm enjoying reading the entries. Congratulations to their composers for a good job.

Church Lady said...

Mark, Quiet and serious. Ancient customs, eternal trees. Very nice.

Jeff, Easy, sentimental piece. I really enjoyed it!

Kudos to both!!

Jeff said...

Thank you for the nice comment, Church Lady. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Sarah Hina said...

Mark, I love stories of myth and sacrifice. Especially when they involve trees, and not people! Nicely told.

Jeff, this was so sweet, and the dialogue felt very authentic. Loved their relationship to the trees, and the playful romanticism. Really enjoyed it!

the walking man said...

Thank you all for your considerate responses.

Peace

mark

Jeff said...

Thank you, Sarah. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)