Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Pride of Lions


A portion of The Lion Hunt,
Eugene Delacroix.

I have been a little distracted this past week or so with the Weirdly contest, and have been rolling around in the marvellous entries like a big cat in a bed of catnip -- to the exclusion of everything else.

So yesterday, when I finally shook myself and regained my senses, I found that, in the interm, I have been awarded six separate Roars for Powerful Words.


The Roars for Powerful Words are an initiative by Seamus of the Shameless Lions Writing Circle to celebrate good and powerful writing. Further details may be found on his site.

One is obligated to list three important aspects/qualities/characteristics regarding writers/ writing and then pass the award on.

To the list of pertinent characteristics I would add:

1. curiousity: the legendary feline characteristic. A writer must always ask why, what if, and how -- and must be willing to explore new hunting territory, both within and without.

2. independence: For all the benefits and encouragement that communities provide and entail, about waterholes, about where the herds roam and feed, a writer is, in the final stalk, The Cat Who Walked By Himself. In the last analysis, it's your MS and your writing that must seize an editor by the neck. You hunt alone.

3. empathy: A writer must both see and be. A writer must not only see and describe the wadis, the slinking shapes in the tawny grass, the dikdik, the heartebeast, the deer, but also feel the sun on his back, the veld beneath his pads, and scent the danger and the blood.

A further condition is to pass on the award.

Many of my usual suspects have already been nominated, but good writing abounds:
Here there be Lions:

1. Raine Weaver: a beautiful name, a beautiful blog, a lithe and beautiful mind.

2. Bernard: a steel mind, like teeth.

3. Sid: always exploring.

4. Billy: who has ranged far.

5. Moonrat: who guards the cave and the cubs.

6. Writtenwyrdd: who hunts alone.

7. Wavemancali: who knows how to go for the throat.


May your words always snarl, slink, stalk, leap and roar.


25 comments:

BernardL said...

Thank you for the nomination, Bernita. You made my day. :)

Jaye Wells said...

"You hunt alone." Love it.

Congrats, Bernita. Your nominee list is chock full of goodness.

Bernita said...

You are welcome, Bernard.
That was a delightful entry to Weirdly, btw.

A proud bunch of beasts, Jaye!

Julie said...

Great post Bernita, and congrats to all concerned - the ripple in the grass ripples on...

writtenwyrdd said...

Thanks, bernita. My small watering hole aims to be of service, or at least inspiration.

Sid Leavitt said...

Wow, thank you. Compliments, while always nice, are especially welcome from those you respect.

Scott said...

Congrats to all the winners!

Bernita said...

Thank you, Julie.

A lot of game to be found around your watering hole, Written.

Sid, you are an entire savannah of lions.

Don't let the lion sleep, Scott!

December/Stacia said...

Congratulations to you and your nominees! :-)

raine said...

Congratulations on your award, Bernard--very well deserved!

And Omigod!
As is often the case, you have left me speechless. I'm honored, and even more, because of my respect for the source. Thank you!

After this week's weather, I think I'll just curl up and relish this sun for a bit. :)

Bernita said...

Thank you, December.

Raine, this weather gives me feline distempter. It snowed here again last night.

Charles Gramlich said...

I like your three writing truths. Definitely agree.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Charles.

Wavemancali said...

Thanks Bernita,

I feel so out of place in this crowd of people so obviously dedicated to being writers.

I find my competitive spirit inspires me which is why I so appreciate contests like this one and those that Jason puts on.

Gabriele C. said...

Why am I not surprised you snatched a whole flock of the awards. :)

Congrats.

Jeff said...

You are most deserving, Bernita.
Congratulations to the nominees.

Bernita said...

There are many ways to use words, Wavemancali.

Thank you, Gabriele.
I am always surprised.

Sweet of you, Jeff.

Mechele Armstrong said...

How very neat. Congrats to all those selected.

Chumplet said...

This is so much fun. That lion is roaring its way to lots of deserving bloggers.

SzélsőFa said...

I liked your description of your three important points. That alone would deserve, if not a lion, a paw.

Julie said...

I second szelsofa on the discerning qualities.

calderwoodbooks said...

ats on the nomination - and thanks for posting other fascinating blogs to discover!

Sam

Bernita said...

The Force be with you, Mechele.

Just a whiskers' twitch, Szelsofa, Julie.Thank you.

It's a jungle out there, Sandra!

Hunt them up, Sam!

moonrat said...

woohoo! thanks :) not sure i deserve it, though, since i dont MAKE works, just jab at OTHERS' words. however, i will take ANY opportunity to plug what makes a good writer on my blog.

Bernita said...

You roar as well as purr on your blog, MoonDear.