Friday, September 28, 2007

Weirdly and Wonderful


I believe this is a 19th century painting but I'm unable to provide proper attribution.

That darling girl, Raine, has said some nice things about Stone Child and the Weirdly Collection. You can read her review here:http://www.raineweaver.com/secretgarden/

While no writer expects to satisfy every reader, there are some in particular one would hate to disappoint.

And here's an excerpt from Stone Child:

"...the other thing is I'd say they were spooked."

He ducked under a grasping branch to the other side and settled in the driver's seat. A squirrel leaped to a tamarack from a trail-side pile of slash and stumps and chattered at us.

He turned towards me and ticked off on his brown fingers. "One: all complained about feeling watched and followed."

Will rolled a shoulder. "I have to say I felt that too, when the Sarge and I were out yesterday doing ghost patrol. Two: high-pitched humming sounds. We never heard any of that ourselves, but the teams were pretty twitchy about it. And this everlasting mist is not natural, they said. It lifts for a while - like now - and then settles back in. They all had a bad case of there's something out there.

He looked at me with eyebrows raised as if I was supposed to have all the answers. I wondered just what Johnnie had told him about my Talent.

"Interesting. Odd. The humming - it's called The Singing - reminds me of reports of the Am Fear - the Gray Man. He's a Scottish yeti. I'm surprised they didn't come up with rumors of something more in keeping, like a Skin Walker or a wendigo, or even a loup garou..."

I mulled over his information and then zipped my jacket against a sudden chill.

"You'd better hope they just have an overactive imagination," I said finally.

"Oh? Why?"

"Because I wouldn't have a clue of how to deal with any of those, except the last."

Groaner Q & A:
For Scott.
Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn't work?
A: A stick.

32 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

Gorgeous painting. I always like your writing, but this is one middle-of-scene bit that needs more set up for me. I look forward to reading the whole thing.

Bernita said...

Sorry, Written.
Guess I just assumed people had a genral idea about the story and might like a little detail.

raine said...

Raine hasn't been a 'girl' in a VERY long time, lol!
But this is an EXCELLENT anthology, and your story was FABULOUS, Bernita. Whenever I look out my window lately I catch myself wondering who might be out there. Love it.
(And I want more Lillie!).

Church Lady said...

That's such a stupid joke it's funny! :-)

My kids used to laugh at:
Knock knock
Who's there?
Nobody.
Nobody who?
Just nobody.

I think it's the stupid/silly factor that cracked them up.

Cheers,

SzélsőFa said...

I like this expert, it's really hooked me :)
And I liked the joke, too :)

Bernita said...

In any event, Raine, you are still a Darling!
Hopefully, you will.
Lillie and Johnnie - she has a lot of fear and distrust to overcome.

~sigh~
Jokes are very telling, Chris.

Thank you, Szelsofa.
I wanted to show that the story involved more than a search-and-rescue ramble through the backwoods.

Kate Thornton said...

Great picture, eerie excerpt, and VERY FUNNY JOKE!!!

One of my favorite kid jokes:
At 6:00 the man at the boathouse hollered through his megaphone, "Boat number 91, please come in, your time has expired." After waiting impatiently for five more minutes and seeing no response from the boat, he hollered again, "Boat number 91, your time has expired, please return to the dock." Then his co-worker said, "Bob, we don't have that many boats!" After looking out one more time, Bob said, "Number 16, are you in some kind of trouble out there?"

Scott from Oregon said...

I'd like to read the whole thing. I suppose I should buy the book, now shouldn't I?

Especially with such a glorious joke dedicated to my very amused inner child...

I had a question for you and your tapped-in readership. If one had a short story to sell, perhaps under the heading "modern Lit.", where would one go about seeing about getting it published, if one were a carpenter who writes for amusement purposes mostly and is suddenly looking for an outlet?

The Anti-Wife said...

I also needed some additional set-up, but it makes me look forward to reading the whole thing.

Love the jokes!

Bernita said...

Thank you, Kate...et tu?
I'm fond of shaggy dogs.

Glad you liked it, Scott!

You could google "short story markets, but two I've heard well-spoken of are "Duotrope's Digest" and "Novel & Short Story Writer's Market."

Ralan.com is a very good source for SF/F, horror and speculative fiction.

It may take some research to find the right market for your genre, but you will. You write very well.

Bernita said...

Glad it didn't turn you off completely, AW.
Lillie is a full-spectrum psychic, hauled in to find a missing child.

Gabriele C. said...

"Because I wouldn't have a clue of how to deal with any of those, except the last."

Why do I get a feeling you throw one or several of the others at her? *grin*

Sam said...

I'm looking forward to reading the WHOLE story, not just snippets. And that goes for the zombie tale as well!!

Scott from Oregon said...

Thanks bernita...

I feel a bit like a shopper for acceptance...

Kinda goes against the take-me-or-leave-me attitude we construction guys often cultivate...

Bernita said...

~grinning back~
Well, I do throw something at her, Gabriele!

So nice of you to say that, Sam. Thank you.

Scott, keep the take-it-or-leave-it attitude.

kmfrontain said...

Hee! I'm glad the good reader reviews are racking up for you, Bernita. :-)

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool review. And it was certainly a deserving story. I still haven't gotten a chance to read anything else in the collection but I will eventually.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Karen.
I've joined the Order of the Sisters of Perpetual Astonishment.

I kiss your feet, Charles.

Chumplet said...

Congratulations on your story, Bernita. What an intriguing excerpt!
Boomerang. Hee hee.
Kate that one is hilarious! I think I just woke up the household.

Bernita said...

Eh, thank you, Sandra!

Ello said...

I loved it! I want the zombie story now!

Bernita said...

Thank you, Ello! So glad.
~ working on it!~

Jon M said...

Loved the build up to the last comment. Not sure about the joke though. What's brown and sticky?


a stick.

writtenwyrdd said...

Oh dear, I apologize. I didn't mean to make that sound like a complaint!

Bernita said...

Thank you, Jon.
Should a fly crawling on a window pane be called a walk?

No need to apologize, Written.
Short stories are so tight it's hard to pick out a thread.

spyscribbler said...

Add another very satisfied reader to your list. :-) I'm sorry I haven't told you, yet. I was going to read the whole anthology (I skipped directly to your story, don't tell!) and blog about it.

But I'm a bit behind. I better tell you I love it now, in case I stay behind for awhile. Your world-building was awesome! The troll thing was so very cool. And you even made me feel the horror of the situation through my delight of the world.

Thanks a bunch!

Bernita said...

There's nothing sweeter in this world than hearing that a reader likes a story.
The thanks are owed to you, Natasha.

Shesawriter said...

That's a great excerpt, Bernita. It has just the right amount of creepiness to it. I'm definitely curious.

Once again, Bernita, HUGE congrats! :-)

Bernita said...

Thank you, Tanya.
I know it's just a short story, but I'm totally titivated.

Vesper said...

Thank you for the fragment, Bernita. Hmmm, might have to buy the book now... High up there among my favourite genres.

Bernita said...

Weirdly contains about 25 stories, Vesper, all different.

Anonymous said...

有什么 有什么网址 有什么新闻 有什么博客 有什么论文 有什么图片 有什么音乐 有什么搜商 有什么帖客 天气预报