Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Zombie Love


Love's Ambush,
William Henry Lippincott, 1890,
oil on canvas.

The recent melt-down of an e-publisher, Triskelion, which ambushed a number of loyal writers, caused considerable pre and post controversy and much hand-wringing (both genuine and faux) about warning signs and red flags.

December Quinn (see side bar for link) posted some intelligent commentary on that kerfuffle.

Even more valuable is her due diligence guide to zombie recognition - by a comparison of clues on contrasting websites - posted Monday.

Zombies, as you no doubt know, eat your brains and suck your wallet dry.

Another reminder that the Undead walk among us may be read on Writer Beware! ( see sidebar also) in a post yesterday appropriately titled When Agents Go Off Their Meds. Victoria provides links so you may read the full glory of the story.
Yet another identifier appeared this morning on the BookEnds site.

Recommended reading for Wiffenpoop(f)s.

13 comments:

JLB said...

Thank you for the suggestions. This book came recommended to me about a year ago, and I still haven't had a chance to pick it up:

The Street Smart Writer: Self Defense Against Sharks and Scams in the Writing World by Jenna Glatzer and Daniel Steven

(Of course, if you - or your readers - have opinions on this book, I'd love to hear them).

Bernita said...

Jade, I haven't read it. However, I believe Jenna is/was associated with the Absolute Write Water Cooler forum and so would have heard lots of horror stories and the dissection thereof.

Ric said...

Well, this is an interesting way to lose thirty minutes. Fun, though. What is there about Florida that allows these scammers to flourish? It's almost to the point where an address to Florida is a red flag.

BTW, Jenna Glatzer started Absolute Write - and, now that she has moved on to start a family, I miss her. The Water Cooler has helped thousands of novice authors stay clear of scammers and bad agents.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Ric. I thought that was the case with Jenna but I wasn't sure.

Seems the agent profiled has shut down his business as of today. Of course he blames the watchdogs rather than the fact he apparently has no sales of record.

jason evans said...

That is a stunningly beautiful painting. I'm mesmerized.

I'm going back to look at it now.

Robyn said...

I know, Jason. I laughed out loud when I saw it- so many possibilities in that picture!

December does indeed have some great thoughts on publishers to avoid; chief among them, in my view, is a website that has glaring typos and grammatical errors. A misspelled word or two in an email can and should be overlooked, but on the site that advertises your company to the world? Particularly if I'm trusting them to edit my work? No thanks.

Bernita said...

On the surface, a definite contrast to the subject, Jason. We hope for that kind of ambush. Usually, we face the other kind.

Just excellent, Robyn, and I see she's done another.
The avenues for selling books was also a major point, I thought. Their job.

raine said...

Ditto on the painting. Verra nice.

Zombies, as you no doubt know, eat your brains and suck your wallet dry.

Ohhh. Sort of like politicians...

Bernita said...

Yep, Raine.

Jaye Wells said...

Saw this and thought of you...

http://mingle2.com/zombie-quiz

Bernita said...

I am pleased to report that I have a 61% chance of survival ( I think my concern for my loved ones lowered my score.)
Thank you, Jaye. The buggers keep creeping into my WIP.

Seeley deBorn said...

Good grief, there are some crazy people out there.

LadyBronco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.