Monday, June 18, 2007

Discovery Channel


Leif Eriksson discovers America,
Christian Krohg,
oil on canvas, 1893.

Among the Ripley items the media is wont to provide recently appeared stories of a blue lobster and a man with green blood.

While the blue lobster is quaint and rare, the Enviroman saga strikes me as the sort that makes some writers lick their lips and press print.

Mystery writers at one time were prone to include bizarre and obscure poisons as a folcrum for their central denouement, and I'm sure I read about assasination by lithium or ricin capsul in a thriller before I read headlines about real-time disposal by some obscure isotope.

Sans info-dump and appeals to Bob, as a reader I always enjoy the painless education.

Conversely I also enjoy a plot where a simple - and profoundly basic - fact of life or physics - such as mass plus velocity - may be employed as a defensive weapon in a highly sophisticated and super-technical universe. L.E. Modesitt is very good at this Gordian knot/ Orcham's Razor technique.

Writers are a clever lot.
From the ever-circling-the-globe collection of internet jokes:
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they are going to feel all day.
- (attributed to) Frank Sinatra.

18 comments:

Robyn said...

With all the highly advanced ways to kill off a character, gravity is still the biggest bitch, eh?

Reminds me of the first Indiana Jones movie. He had been racing around whipping every thing in sight in action hero fashion until he came upon a big, bad swordsman. Indy looked at him for a moment, and, instead of the huge expected fight, pulled his gun and shot him.

JLB said...

I absolutely love literature that incorporates a lot of science and technology in a compelling way - Jurassic Park was much more fun to read, no matter how cool the movie was to watch.

Have a great week Bernita!

JLB

Bernita said...

That's exactly it, Robyn!
I seriously love that sort of thing.

Bernita said...

"in a compelling way" - goes without saying, Jade!

Charles Gramlich said...

Speaking of the laws of physics, did you ever read a story called "The Cold Equations." It's an SF piece, extremely good, one of my favorites of all time. By Tom Godwin.

raine said...

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they are going to feel all day.

Hmmm...

Bernita said...

Can't say I remember it, Charles. I have the lamentable habit of remembering theme/plot/great lines/characters - but seldom the title or the writer's name.
But I shall put it on my look-for list.

There's a certain lateral logic to that pov, Raine!

Scott from Oregon said...

My sister and I were watching umpteen dogs playing with sticks and she asked if there were any Oleanders on the property...

I guess there was a woman who would add White Oleander to her husband's tea everyday...

She also told me of a bunch of roadside crew members (maybe serving out sentences?) who decided to cook up some hotdogs on the side of the road, jabbing whittled Oleander into the ends of the dogs and then placing them over the fire...

Gravity and stupidity are two of the biggest causes of death in this country, next to "natural causes"...

Bernita said...

Always bothers me, Scott, the quantity of truly toxic plants people will have in their gardens - because the flowers are pretty.

Jon M said...

Having grown up on Marvel comics, the old adage, 'It's Clobberin' Time' always gets my vote too!

Bernita said...

A fancy lock on the front door doesn't deter a rock through a window, Jon.

takoda said...

Bernita,
LOL--"Over to you, Bob."

I like how kids try to 'kill' off each other. Anything that's not too gross to scoop up and chuck becomes a weapon.

Cheers,

Bernita said...

Didn't think anything was "too gross" for a kid, Takoda.

LadyBronco said...

A high-tech, ultra-complicated way to meet your doom will always pale in comparison to gettin' yer ass kicked the old-fashioned way.

I prefer a good sword match myself.

spyscribbler said...

Hah! That's a funny quote. It's kind of true, except I wake up crabby and half-asleep. I can't even talk to anyone until I've had my shower.

Bernita said...

Part of the fun in "The Mouse That Roared," Lady B.

Just don't talk to me too early, Natasha. Not 'til after the second cup of coffee.

ScaramoucheX said...

Speaking of physics, ya ought to read, 'Mount Analogue', by Renee Daumal. It's very thought provoking, rendering physically logical as it does the existence of an invisible kingdom.

Here's another great drinking quote:
"I went on a safari once and they lost the corkscrew on the first day. We had to live for weeks on food and water."

W.C. Fields said that.

Bernita said...

Thank you, ScaramoucheX.
And that's a great quote.