Thursday, April 05, 2007

Now You See It...


Art by John Thompson.


Further along in A Malignity.

Lillie, the question of her zombie-husband, and a psi-crime expert.


The caretaker's clapboard house sat watch from a narrow enclave on the west side of the laneway. Next to it stood the shed that housed the grass mowing, snow plowing and grave digging equipment.

A second set of true gates in a low stone wall marked the cemetery proper. On a small central knoll beyond crouched the storage crypt for the winter dead. Sometimes the frost went deep, too deep for man to bite and gouge the necessary gaping rectangle in the bruised and reluctant earth.

As we turned the last curve, I saw the old caretaker standing in the middle of the roadway, waving his arms to signal us to stop.

I cried, "Oh no!" and threw an arm across my face.

Naturally, we drove right through him.

"I thought they stayed more or less in place," Thresher said irritably and brought the unmarked cruiser to a stop just short of the open gates. "What's the matter? Surely, you're inured to apparitions by now. One expects them here in numbers I would think."

I gulped air and didn't answer. Much worse than I expected. Much worse.

He reached over and released my seat belt and said, more gently, "Are you an animal lover? Ms. St.Clair, I realize it's hard when there are animals involved, but..."

I said slowly, holding on the belt webbing with both hands like a lifeline, "I'm afraid you might need the CSI unit. I recognized that apparition. It was the caretaker here, Mr. Pearson. I know for a fact he was alive yesterday for I talked to him on the phone about my husband's tombstone and delivery dates."

He went still, brought a long leg back inside and closed his car door.

"I don't think this animator used animals," I added.

20 comments:

Erik Ivan James said...

You are "on a roll" with this one, Dear Gal.

Ric said...

Gee, this is fun. A million different directions and, we readers, have taken the bait and the hook is set.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Erik, she said, presently fiddling with the scene about the banshee in the laundromat.

I hope so, Ric!
The question is how long should one play out line before reeling in.

Sonya said...

Whoa. Wicked! I love this, Bernita.

Steve G said...

Play it out...play it out.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

That gave me goosies! It's developing very well...I wanted to read more!

I forgot to tell you yesterday..."Needful things" is a Stephen King book...LOL!

Bernita said...

Thank you, Sonya!

OK, Steve!

"goosies"?
Bonnie, what an expression!
Knew I'd heard/read it somewhere. Should I change it?

singer_dancer said...

Very nice blog... I enjoyed it very much... Hope you have fun!
~Zoe~

Ric said...

Needful Things - a book and a really scary movie - both by Stephen King. I wouldn't change it - have a business here called "needful Truck things" - he's a King fan.

raine said...

Naturally, we drove right through him.

Love the casual nature of this, lol.

And I'm eager to hear about the banshee! Have long suspected that laundromats were purgatory in poor disguise.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Zoe. Nice of you to leave a comment.

Never read much of King, Ric.

Raine,since the banshee is sometimes described as washing the bloody clothes of those about to die, if one is going to up-date, where else would one find her?
And there is something strange about most laundromats, a kind of stasis, time-stopped, alternate universe sort of place.

Jeff said...

I like this, Bernita. Keep going.

Sam said...

Getting more and more interestinger!
And makes me want more!
Next installment!

Bernita said...

Thank you, Jeff and Sam.
It's been fun so far!

Donnetta Lee said...

I just so so much enjoy reading these pieces. "I gulped the air..." You just have a real natural way about you. Seems to come so easy. Delightful work.
Donnetta

Bernita said...

Thank you, Donnetta!
What a gratifying compliment!

Marie said...

It's really good, Bernita. Keep at it.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Marie.
So far, so far.

Ballpoint Wren said...

I'm very much looking forward to this book, Bernita.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Bonnie.
Working on it, it's not "automatic writing."