Wednesday, April 25, 2007

LOTTERY


Girl Reading by a Window,
Edmund Charles Tarbell, 1902,
oil on canvas.


Have just finished an ARC for LOTTERY by Patricia Wood.

To be published in August by G.P.Putnam's Sons (Penguin Group) as their catelogue's lead novel.

All the details: the foreign rights sales and the path and pattern to publication and a picture of its cover, can be found on Pat's Blog.

It's a lovely story. A lovely, lovely novel. A delight to read from so many perspectives, told with a superb simplicity of style.

Perry has an IQ of 76, but he is not retarded - he is just slow - and he is sensible in the best ways.

And he is lucky - not because he wins a 12 million dollar lottery - but because he knows the real and true value of money and people.

His voice is also true and sure and never wavers.

The characters live, are vital and human, even - perhaps especially - Gram, who is soon dead.

And you will like them all - except for the rest of his family, whom you will cordially hate.

Mostly, though, you will like Perry.

Perry is so cool.

You will see Lottery on the Best Seller lists.

Lottery is a Keeper.

20 comments:

Scott said...

Sounds like a wonderful read!

Bernita said...

Scott, it truly is!
I tried to avoid the usual reviewer cliches - poignant, touching, wonderful, etc. - but they all apply.

Jaye Wells said...

I can't wait to read it. How cool you got a preview!

Sam said...

You're lucky!!
You got an ARC for Pat's book!!!
I can't wait until it comes out, I'm impatient to read it!!

Bernita said...

It was extrordinarily kind of Pat to send me one.

Jaye and Sam, it's worth waiting for, absolutely.
I can recommend it without hesitation.

ORION said...

I am gratified and honored that you have reviewed my book. As in anything the creation is an act of love but at some point you have to let your child go.
It is exquisitely satisfying to find other writers find
your offspring with merit.
Thank you

david santos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bonnie Calhoun said...

Oh, my word!! Bernita just did a book review...You go girl!

Bernita said...

Great merit, Pat. A stellar child.

I removed the next post because this is NOT a political blog - and if anyone is going to spout propaganda here it's going to be me.

This one I can honestly and fully recommend, Bonnie.

Beth said...

I came over via The Clarity of Night because I enjoyed your reviews so much. I wish you would find the time to review all the entries. Your opinion always comes with excellent critique. This makes me feel certain the Lottery review is a true one.

Bernita said...

What a nice thing to say, Beth.
Thank you so much.
There certainly is a high caliber of entries in Jason's latest contest.

J. H. said...

Lottery looks good, definately to be added to my Amazon wishlist.
Ironic how chances of actually getting a publishing contract seems the same as getting the Lottery...

Bernita said...

Both Pat and Perry are winners, JH.
The rule is the same for both publishing and lotteries - first you have to buy a ticket.

Jeff said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Bernita. I'll be sure to pick up a copy.

LadyBronco said...

I can't wait until my copy ships.
I've had it on pre-order almost since Pat announced it was available on Amazon to do so.

Bernita said...

Jeff and Lady B. - it's a book that makes you feel better about the world.
Though your respective IQs may be almost double Perry's - you will empathize and sympathize, and even identify with him.

Demon Hunter said...

Great review, Benita. The book sounds wonderful! :*)

Bernita said...

Thank you, dear Demon.
It certainly is a wonderful book.

Mark said...

Well, I didn't find the review describing much more than the hook. The only impression I can come up with is Charly.

Bernita said...

What is "Charly," Mark?
And why are you rude?