Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Grace Notes


Three Musical Ladies
from the Flemish School, 16th century.
Harrach Gallery, Vienna.
No artist attribution.


The Rule of Three is another perennial theme in composition and portraiture - Three Graces/ Muses are suggested here.

I have never personnified as my Muse those all too brief moments of inspiration.

My brain more often resembles primordial ooze - where ideas squelch and muck about before crawling out on the page - so I have not adopted any intransigent, capricious godlette to blame for hitches and glitches.

For me, small objects, instants, painting and photographs don't so much inspire a story, rather they spark, draw together and solidify in a sort of evolutionary cycle. When I'm lucky. Some of them never make it out of the muck to shore.

Here's Three for you.

1. Holly Kennedy (another Canadian, eh?) wrote The Tin Box around one such small object. You may try for a free copy of her second novel, The Penny Tree. Winner picked April 28. I believe her third, The Silver Compass, comes out this fall.

2. Agent Jenny Rappaport of Lit Soup offers a chance to skip the query swamp and promises a partial to the winner of her Shakespearean Sonnet Contest. Opens April 24. Entries must contain the word soup. Don't know about nuts.

3. Jason Evans of Clarity of Night begins another of his fascinating contests. Endless Hour opens today and runs until April 28th.

17 comments:

Steve G said...

Lots of lovely contests. Good on those folks.

Jaye Wells said...

Oh yay! Lots of excuses to procrastinate... erm, I mean, stretch my creative muscles.

Bernita said...

All different levels of difficulty, Steve.

Hee, Jaye! I limited myself to mentioning three ( two, because I was asked) - but - Sonya has a contest too!

Bonnie Calhoun said...

I understand the feeling of "...luckily some ideas never make it to shore."..LOL!

Bernita said...

Swamp Things, Bonnie.
Too horrible to contemplate.

raine said...

...ideas squelch and muck about before crawling out on the page - so I have not adopted any intransigent, capricious godlette to blame for hitches and glitches.

Must have someone/something to BLAME, Bernita! Perhaps some kind of Ooze Entity, some dark, fickle god who only releases the ideas as he is fed something equally vile.

Like door-to-door salesmen.
Or distant relatives wanting to 'borrow' money.

Bernita said...

For munchings and crunchings? (The Book of Three)

Or rip-off repairmen, Raine!

spyscribbler said...

I'm with you on that. Writing's hard enough, I'm not about to pretend that a muse came up with all the good stuff, and not me.

Of course, I'm willing to believe in some sort of anti-muse who writes all the bad stuff. :-)

Bernita said...

Hee, Natasha!
I just throw it back into the bog and walk away whistling...

jason evans said...

There is a strange symmetry with three. I often draw on it in sentence construction.

Thanks for the contest mention!

Bernita said...

An indelible and eternal pattern, Jason.
And you are very welcome.

LadyBronco said...

I am taking the plunge on Lit Soup and attempting to compose a sonnet about...soup.

I am also going to try and not laugh so loudly at the finished product that I wake the dead. lol...

ORION said...

I've read both of Holly's books and love them. Things coming in threes. That is so true. I use that in my prose too. Your blog is so much fun.
BTW something is winging its way to Canada with your name on it. FYI...
Let me know when it gets there.

Sam said...

Thanks for the links - I love discovering new blogs, and the contests look like fun.

Bernita said...

Good luck, Lady B!
You'll have fun and it's a cute contest.

Oh, Pat! Thank you! SQUEE!
~sorry, couldn't help myself~

Lovely contests, Sam, and the rewards are good ones.

Scott from Oregon said...

Funny. I thought compositionally, it was the rule of "thirds", and bad "luckily", threes?

Bernita said...

All sets, Scott,... and semantics.