Sunday, March 18, 2007

Elixir of Life


Edvard Munch.

...continuing from yesterday.


"Lillie," he said in a faraway voice."You available for call?" He put down his tray of coffee carefully, then nearly knocked the lot over when he slumped in his chair and dropped his face in his hands. I rescued my manila envelope and tucked it under one hip. He scrubbed his hands up and down his face and blinked at me. His eyes were as bloodshot as mine.

"Tomorrow, maybe. You've had a bad night." I didn't make it a question. The outer ring of his normal aura was flecked with black.

"I've never seen anything like it." He fumbled off the plastic cover and squeezed the container in both hands. Coffee slopped. He didn't notice. I pushed napkins across the table.

"Scheduled? Or were you called out?"

He downed one cup. It should have scalded his mouth but he didn't even wince.

"Scheduled. The river road, due to complaints. Ghost warning signs haven't done any good. We closed down the worst section. East-bound lane."

I nodded. Ghosts were more than a nuisance, they'd become a real traffic hazard on roadways. I wondered if things had worsened in the last two weeks.

"The river road. Go on." If something else happened last night, I wanted to know. Particularly on that road.
"We had two pairs of soul-rescue psychics, a pair on either side, walking the verge, arms in the air, yodeling out "Follow the Light."

11 comments:

Ric said...

What a great picture!

"We had two pairs of soul-rescue psychics, a pair on either side, walking the verge, arms in the air, yodeling out "Follow the Light."

Enough to make you burst out laughing. Hope that's what you were going for.

Bernita said...

Yep, Ric, it was.
Have been worried if it was visual enough.

Sela Carsen said...

Good thing I'd just swallowed my coffee, Bernita! I could totally see those psychics yodeling. LOL

Bernita said...

One of the standard new age methods of exorcism, Sela, based on certain presumptions about spirits.
My girl will have to come up with something different.

writtenwyrdd said...

was Munch insane? All his works have that creepy, over-the-edge -of-insanity quality...

It's really neat to see someone else's work in progress. I'd love to see a before and after comparison some time, because I love to post mortem the thinking for the author's changes.

writtenwyrdd said...

I like the idea of your character having a unique take on the removal of the ghosts. I also love the attitude toward the yodelers. That word sums up their cynicism toward that crew very well with no effort.

Bernita said...

He was eccentric, Written.
Thank you.
Something beyond bell, book and candle - which is the other favoured method.

spyscribbler said...

Hah! I loved that yodeling image, too! Great scenes! (Just read the past two days.)

I've always wished I could yodel, by the way.

Bernita said...

Glad you liked it, Natasha. Thank you.
I'll probably put up more of it tomorrow.

Donnetta Lee said...

Now this I really enjoyed. I liked "...he scrubbed his hands up and down his face..." Good job! Donnetta

Bernita said...

Thank you, Donnetta.