Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Different Hats


Self-Portrait,
Archibald Skirving, 1790,
Scottish Historical Portrait Gallery.


Archie doesn't resemble the character Rick in the slightest - but Archie wears a very nice hat.


Not sure if this works. But.
Continuing:

His hand wavered over mine for a moment and then drew back. He remembered. You don't touch another Talent except by invitation.

"Any word yet on what caused the accident? I've wondered about spectres, you know."

I shook my head. "No, they sent the car for mechanical testing, I understand. Tell me, anything else weird happen?"

"Not really. Some son of a bitch disregarded the pylons and came roaring up behind us. Jesus, the way some people drive. He hit the breaks so hard I swear I saw flames. Bastard didn't stop though, swerved around us and kept on going and I didn't make the plate."

I felt cold again. I wondered if I was looking at a dead man. If it was I thought it was, there wouldn't be a plate. "What color?"

"Color? Oh, black, a black SUV."

There was no other way but blunt. Besides, I was too tired to be anything else. "Did the driver shout at you? Did you hear your name?"

"Name? Not with the demolition derby beginning in the westbound and all the Godforsaken and the psychics moaning and screeching...I couldn't hear myself think, but I called on a few, believe me..."

My question registered. He put his coffee cup down carefully. "You think it might have been a..." He fumbled over the pronounciation. I supplied it.

"A dullahan, yes. A Crom Dubh. The Headless One. A lot of Irish settled here about 150 years ago, Rick. Jigs and wakes weren't the only things they brought with them."

19 comments:

kmfrontain said...

I love the way this question of "killing the husband again" keeps getting side-stepped. :-)

S. W. Vaughn said...

Oh, wow, Bernita! Just went back and read what you've posted so far. I love where this is going!

Robyn said...

Really enjoying this, Bernita!

I'm with km. The zombie husband thing could be a lovely running gag, so to speak.

Bernita said...

Trying to work in a bit of suspense, Karen!

Thank you, Sonya.
Actually, I'm not entirely sure where it's going. I have to keep going back and adding bits. Just this morning, while putting this up, I decided that the ordinary people would call the plethora of ghosts the "Godforsaken."
So I've put in a couple of lines for Lillie to note this further back.

Bernita said...

Glad, Robyn.
Problem is, it keeps turning darker than I first intended.But there's his ghost to consider too.
Think I'll have the Heero suspect her of offing the husband - that's within the tried-and-true tradition - as long as I don't make it too conventional.

Sela Carsen said...

I'd love to see this dark humor continued, Bernita. I'm enjoying each little snippet!

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Well my dear sister, you hit the trifecta! You got Jesus, son fo a bitch, and bastard all in the same paragraph!

And yea...I do have to keep the personal stories, because you can only have 1 in 4 as an advertisement. This is really an eye opener at how silly easy it is to do!

Bernita said...

Thank you very much, Sela!
This one is turning out to be combination of pants and plots.

Dialogue, Bonnie, merely dialogue about unholy ghosts!

I like the way you're doing it.Doesn't make one reach for the virtual mute button.

raine said...

"Godforsaken". I love it. :-)

And I'm with Rick here...exactly how does one pronouce "Dubh"?

Erik Ivan James said...

I'm enjoying this too! And I'm with Raine, just how do you pronounce "dubh"?

Bernita said...

As I understand it, Raine and Erik, if it's Scots- Gaelic, it's pronounced more or less "Doo", if it's Irish Gaelic, more like "Doof" - with a bit of a breathy in it.

Gabriele C. said...

Lol, considering that doof in German means 'stupid', that one's even more fun. Maybe you got a stupid ghost there, the sort that doesn't get it's (un)dead and complains that people don't see him and the psychics lied about those lights.

I like what you've got so far. Keep the humour in, horror without humor is boring.

But what does 'didn't make the plate' mean?

Bernita said...

Thank you, Gabriele. The humour so far is more situational than verbal, I'm afraid.
"Make the plate" means to have noted the license plate number. Police services here have a thing called C-PIC where they can run the plate number and find out who the registered owner of the vehicle is and if they have unpaid fines,are operating with out a proper license, etc. Perhaps I should insert "license."

writtenwyrdd said...

I thought the whatsit had killed Rick on the road for a sec there. I think this story wants to be dark. good stuff!

Bernita said...

Ah, another good catch. I'd better change it to "his accident."
Thank you, Written.

Gabriele, I wonder if "doof" is the source of the slang "doofus." I'll see if I can come up with a role for a stupid ghost somewhere.

spyscribbler said...

You know what I love about this story? You're delighted with your world. And that makes me delighted, too. There's a magic in that ...

Bernita said...

Creation excitement, Natasha! Benefit of a blog, I suppose.

Ballpoint Wren said...

Dear Bernita, I am looking forward to buying and reading this book! It sounds great!

Bernita said...

Thank you, Bonnie.
~so pleased~