Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Among the Gently Mad


Butterfly Hunting: The Old Print Works.

Kleinman Card Co.Ltd.


The Almanac says Spring arrived with the Vernal Equinox at 8:07 last evening. Un-huh.

What did arrive was a treasure box from my daughter, containing three painted Easter eggs filled with chocolate, an exquisitely embroidered, ivory blouse from Romania, and three books.

A Writer's Garden - Inspired Photographs with Selected Writings by L.M. Montgomery - by Anne MacKay and Wayne Barrett. Leafing through, it struck me how many of you resemble, in some ineffable way, Montgomery characters. Ric is the boy narrator of The Story Girl. Gabriele is the Story Girl herself.

A Splendor of Letters - The Permanence of Books in an Impermanent World - by Nicholas A. Basbanes.

Among the Gently Mad - Strategies and Perspectives for the Book Hunter in the Twenty-First Century - also by Basbanes.

The Baltimore Sun's reviewer comments: For anyone even remotely interested in the past, present, and future of publishing and literature, this is a fascinating volume. For any professional involved - whether librarian, writer, scholar, or editor - it is obligatory reading.

To hell with endorsements - the title of the last alone is enough to hook me.

May the snow melt soon.

Oh yes, in the parcel there was also a frog.


20 comments:

Erik Ivan James said...

~smiling~
I held a pretty butterfly once.
I wouldn't put it in a jar.
I held it gently in the open palm of my hand.
It flew away.

Bernita said...

It seems I attract butterflies.

Carla said...

A frog in a parcel?

December Quinn said...

A live frog?

Bernita said...

Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more.
T'was a wooden one.But I kissed it anyway.

Sam said...

Happy First day of Spring!

Ric said...

Dear Lady has me at a loss this morning. Was never able to slog my way through Green Gables, though I tried a number of times.

Something else for the reading list...

Bernita said...

If only Spring would Sprang and Sprung,Sam!

Do try "The Story Girl" or "The Golden Road," Ric. You might meet yourself.

bunnygirl said...

You poor thing! It's been spring for several weeks down here on the Gulf Coast. Robins, azaleas, the whole Spring Thing! :-)

Bernita said...

~sobs~
I cordially hate you, Bunny!

Carla said...

Did it turn into a wooden prince? :-)

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Alas...those books would never make it to my reading list, but then again most of the books we introduce at the CFBA aren't my taste either.

Glad you were so happy! What prompted this outpouring of love...a birthday? Or just the occassion of spring!

My sister adores frogs...I've gotten her hundreds over the years!

Bernita said...

Inevitably, Carla, they always do.

"What prompted this outpouring of love... just the occassion of spring!"

Just that, Bonnie. It's a loving child. See, it's a family trait - I love frogs too, so she always includes at least one.

Dave said...

Nicholas Basbanes is one of my heroes. Ever since "A Gentle Madness."

(I'll bet you never expected that statement from me!)

Bernita said...

Doesn't suprise me in the slightest, Dave. Obviously, you have a broad and catholic mind. QED.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Cool...what a sweet child...The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

ORION said...

"...gently mad..." This is too perfect!
I will NOT tell you all the temperature here.
(quickly ducks head away from Bernita's virtual slap)
But just to make you all feel better I will be in New York in about 2 weeks and will freeze my Hawaiian butt off.
Gently mad.
That's what I am.
I really like that. It explains so much!
Thanks bernita.

Bernita said...

She certainly is, Bonnie.Thank you.

Since I am also gently mad, I will content myself with a mere sour look in your direction, Pat!
It is a wonderful title.

Bailey Stewart said...

Did it turn into a wooden prince?

Or a prince with a woo ... oh, never mind. Maybe I'm more than gently mad. LOL

Yes, Spring, temps in the upper 70s, Robins, daffodils, hayfever, ragweed ...

Bernita said...

Bailey!
~laughing~
Splinters!