Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Cheshire-Puss...


Another illustration by Sir John Tenniel for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.


Sometimes, I think I should have been an Alice, rather than a Miranda in this brave new world.

Wonderland is so very appropriate to the new writer.

Consider the questions often asked on industry blogs, both to agents and old hands, about trends, about timing, about taste and talent. And the answer is always the same: tenacity.

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where...." said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"...so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
It's amazing how parallel are our universes.
In the World According to Alice, those voices in your head are nothing special.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
Groan: Veni, Vedi, Visa. I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.



15 comments:

Ric said...

A highly appropriate illustration of the writer's life. Nicely done.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Ric.
I am amused by the similarities. There are many more!

Jaye Wells said...

How funny, Bernita. Thanks for the chuckle.

Bernita said...

Glad you enjoyed, Jaye.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

"Groan: Veni, Vedi, Visa. I came, I saw, I did a little shopping." LOL...love it!

Auh yes...mad voices...ROFLOL...that's because Lewis Carroll was a cocaine head...LOL, yes I'd hear mad voices too! ~snort~...literally

raine said...

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice."You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

That is just SO true! I've begun to think of myself as quite the hatter--but I've got lots of company.

Veni, Vedi, Visa. I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.

Now this I like, lol!

Bernita said...

So, Bonnie, what's our excuse?

Eh, Raine, seems to be quite a normal condition!

Bailey Stewart said...

I'm not mad, at least that's what the voices tell me.

anna said...

that is my favourite illustration of the 'Cat'
speaking of cats, how is your
old man btw?

the groan is a hoot!

anna - mad as a Russian poet

Bernita said...

Of course not, Bailey...er...what do your cats say?

Mine too, Anna!
He's better, thank you. The latest round, pneumonia, is responding very well to antibiotics.

Robyn said...

Glad hubby's doing better.

A little shopping...of course, my husband would start the mad speak right there. "You call this a little?"

Bernita said...

Thank you, Robyn.

Mine's lucky that I don't like to shop.

Scott from Oregon said...

That was some wise cat.

I like being a bit mad.

The people here are so much more fun.

Now If they'll just stop doling out my food in portions...

Donnetta Lee said...

It's mad, mad world! Ain't it the truth! Aint't it the truth! Donnetta

Bernita said...

We enjoy your madness, Scott and Donnetta.