Monday, December 18, 2006

Trying Mens's Souls


The Ascent into the Empyrean.
Hieronymus Bosch.

So far, out of the 140 hookers Miss Snark has posted, about a dozen will be tested further at the portal.
Miss Snark is in her usual fine form, with references to everything from Anglo-Saxon lit to Al Capp.

The whole Crapometer illustrates the broad spectrum of an agent's average slushpile.
As such, her on-line workshop offers valuable clues on how to make one's own single submission stand out - especially if a writer, in isolated ignorance, does not realize how common and frequent are his own selection of trope and genre.

The other half of the exercise - the comments - demonstrates another cross-section of our peculiar society.
Many offer helpful suggestions and expanded specifics on the why of weaknesses.

Inevitably, at least one, slung back in the winter slush, expressed discontent and argued that all his friends thought the sun rose and set on his book.
York.
Another advertised his work in loving, eposic glory.
Cue a collective cringe.
Miss Snark has blocked four posters for prolonged, unhelpful negatives.
Naturally, someone then gave way to some innate desire to be hall monitor/witch sniffer/St. Michael with the flaming sword and began pointing fingers at other posters.

There's at least 500 more bumblebees buzzing about.
I am consumed with the urge to capitalize Her pronouns.

18 comments:

anna said...

Hieronymus Bosch.
hmm thought he was some sort of horn player (eg)
as for the witch sniffers on MissSnark's blog, my god I would love to join them. Never being chosen to be hall monitor in grade 5 left a deep lasting scar on my heart. As for reading Miss Snarks comments while vinegary they do give some great little tips.

Bernita said...

Among Bosch's favourite icons were demons - thought it appropriate, Anna.
Haven't noticed another agent willing to provide such a service to all and sundry - for free - and at a sacrifice of much personal time and effort.
A little honest astringency is welcome.

spyscribbler said...

I'm taking notes, that's for sure! I can't even keep up with her. I think she's on 140 or something, but I'm only on sixty-something!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bernita said...

At least this way you'll be able to catch most of the comments, Spy.
They offer useful info, too.

Scott said...

Some day I might actually click through to Miss Snark.

Jaye Wells said...

I have always liked Bosch., but had not seen that one before. Very cool.

One of the interesting aspects of the HHC is the ability to notice trends in the submissions. I avoid the comments section on Miss Snark's blog most of the time.

Bernita said...

Think she is most useful after one has finished a novel, Scott.
Of course, I say that because my train of thought is easily derailed by information overload.

Certain trends-du-jour are definitely showing up, Jaye.
Demons. Lucifer. The Russian Mafia.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

I must confess, what with going to New York city on Saturday...LOL...and it was not my fault that there were lierally hundreds of police on the streets...and with finally putting up our tree on Sunday...I haven't had too much time to spend with the Crapometer.

I'd better get crackin' and catch up on what's going on!

Thanks for the update in a capsule!

Bernita said...

Fortunately, Miss Snark also "saves" Bonnie!

Gabriele C. said...

I've skimmed many of the entries (though I read Her Snarkiness' comments) and only read the reader comments to some posts, so I've missed the fun, it seems. Can you point at the numbers of particularly juicy discussions? I'm in a procrastination mood. :)

Bernita said...

I'm sorry, Gabriele, didn't make note of numbers.

Gabriele C. said...

No problem. I was just intrigued that things got so bad she had to ban some commenters.

I know what I'll get: 'That is a synopsis, not a hook.'

Btw, I said in the comments some days ago that I'd put up a naughty little something on my snippet blog.

Bonnie, don't go there! :)

Bernita said...

Since Miss Snark screens comments, they may not have ever made the blog.

Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

I’ve never read Miss Snark, although I’ve seen her name pop up quite a bit lately. I’ll have to give her a look-see one of these days.

Anonymous said...

Hello people.Winter good time!
This is best.
Best ski:jay peak ski resort
Best credit secret:pay victorias secret credit card
Best house:real estate in charlotte north carolina
Best forex info:forex training course currency trading
This is cool:punishment enema picture

Anonymous said...

Good-girl-turned-bad Britney Spears has topped an eclectic list of the net’s most popular searches
n the run-up to Christmas. The popstar,who hit the headlines last week for stepping out
“commando” with her new best friend Paris Hilton,has helped revealed exactly what the internet
savvy are looking for from their stars - the thick and the dead.

Anonymous said...

[URL=http://sexy-amateur-web-cam-534f6.live-adult-chat.org/]girl[/URL] [URL=http://montreal-amateur-web-cam-534f6.live-adult-chat.info/]video[/URL] [URL=http://free-amateur-nude-web-cam-534f6.camdoors.info/]chat[/URL] [URL=http://amateur-web-cam-movie-534f6.adult-sex-chat.org/]for[/URL] [URL=http://couple-amateur-web-cam-534f6.adult-chat-world.info/]you[/URL]