Sunday, October 29, 2006

Peccavi...Not


Looks cheerful and hey-nonny-nonny, doesn't she?
Grump.
Still, it's a reasonable approximation of how I filled in my time - if you replace the gown with jeans and wipe that prissy smile off her face...
I raked leaves, cut down the peonies, put away the stone basin of the bird bath, emptied the fountain and left it to dream.
Sulked.
Emptied the flower urns around the rose bushes, pruned back the Japanese juiper, took a dead limb out of the smoke tree, pulled carpet weed from between the driveway brick so the shovel wouldn't jillpoke in snow time.
Brought the geraniums indoors, cleaned eavestroughs.
Furslugginer eavestroughs.
Caught my eavestrough elbow poker in the joints. Spent three-quarters of an hour at the top of the ladder ripping out rivets to dismantle the thing to get my poker clear.
The blue haze that drifted down our quiet street was not the result of any ceremonial, autumnal bonfire.
Also managed to dump half a pail of water - hoisted to wash away the remaining blockage - on my poor benighted husband's head. He was securing the foot of the ladder, you see.
I even vacuumed the living room rug.
Put that down to the shock of withdrawal.
Seems the problem lay not in some inadvertent acquisition of a dreaded vyrm or virus, but in some inability of my protective program to get its tail out of its mouth, ie. its head out of its ass.
Thank God for kids with smarts.
I missed you.

19 comments:

Muse said...

Yeay; so glad you're back online!

Bernita said...

Thank you.
Blogger was having trouble.
I still can't post a picture though.

December Quinn said...

Yay! I saw you at Miss Snark and rushed over to say hi!

EA Monroe said...

Welcome back, Bernita! It was sloooow without you! I bet your husband is glad your computer is working again -- just to avoid any more head dunkings! But think of all the yard work you polished off!

Bernita said...

Thank you, December!

It was awfully slow without you, EA!

S. W. Vaughn said...

Hooray, you're back!! We missed you!

Antivirus programs are jealous viruses. They want to be the only virus on your computer. :-)

Jeff said...

I'm glad you're back, Bernita!

Bernita said...

Thank you, Sonya, Jeff.
So glad to be back.

jason evans said...

We missed you too!!

Wow, you were productive. I probably would've stared at the dark monitor, willing it not to abandon me.

Bernita said...

Distraction, simply, Jason, to avoid that numb agony of abandonment...

Gabriele C. said...

Lol, sometimes it's an advantage to have only a balcony.

Gabriele C. said...

Btw, I switched to Beta. I can uplaod pictures and post new stuff, the only trouble I have is commenting on non-beta blogs - takes several attempts right now. Obviously the result of the general crappiness of Blogger.

Btw, little tip if you want to change. it's actually pretty smooth but you will need a Google account. And to be on the safe side, make a copy of your template (sidebar and all) and save it in your files. I had no trouble but I've heard some people did.

Bernita said...

There certainly is when it comes to eavestroughs, Gabriele!
Thank you for the tips.

James Goodman said...

Yay! Back in the mix. :D

SassyJill said...

I know.. nature can be rough when you want to be on your computer ^_^* That water bucket sounds like a Laurel and Hardy moment!

writtenwyrdd said...

You rake leaves? You're sick Bernita. I leave mine to blow about the neighborhood and annoy the neighbors. Of course, since they do the same for me, no one wins that game. :)

Bernita said...

Have to, Written, else they'd smother the grass.

Ballpoint Wren said...

I have to tell you, Bernita, I was so impressed with Tech Child!

Bernita said...

Thank you, Bonnie. She impresses me all the time!