Monday, October 02, 2006

Lingam Linguistics


....brought to you by the letter "D."

Historical slang provides us with another tool to penetrate society's psyche over the centuries.
So herewith are examples derived from one of my favourite dictionaries.
OK, I'll stop now....

danglers - testicles, low, mid 19-20th c.
dard - the membrum virile, 17-18th c., perhaps ex. Fr. dard, a dart.
dearest member - from circa 1740, of literary origin, eventually jocular. Think of that the next time you write to your MP or Congressman.
derrick - low, 19-20th c., origin, gallows - from the name of a public hangman - i.e. properly hung ( in case you didn't get it.) Believe I've seen block and tackle used in the same engineering sense.
dick - military, from about 1860. Derived from Dick, any man, every fellow ( as in Tom, Dick and Harry, 16-20th c.) resulting in a metonymic. Also, dicky, schoolboy snigger from about 1870.
diddle - the penis, schoolboy's cant from c. 1870. Variants survive.
dingle-dangle - a dangling appendage, c. 1895, from Rabelaisean songs. Think I've heard one of them.
dirk - 18-20th c., originally Scottish, then jocular colloquial. Weapons ( as in swords/swordsman) were acknowledged as phallic long before Freud - or romance writers.
donkey-rigged - endowed, 19-20th c. Other large animals, bulls, horses, etc. have also been allotted proud euphemistic or similestic service.
doodle or doodle-doo - 17-20th c., from cock-a-doodle-doo. I don't have to explain that, do I?
double-shung - excessively equipped, 19-20th c., obsolete, > ? variant of double-hung. Erm...
drumstick - low, 19-20 c. Probably another elaboration on cock-a-doodle.

Aren't these cute?

24 comments:

kmfrontain said...

Yay! More slang from the past! I love reading those. :D Thank you, Bernita. I have got to use diddle in Tristan.

EA Monroe said...

Okay. Now I'm humming the song, Yankee Doodle Dandy! Thanks, Bernita. ;D

Ric said...

Interesting way to start a Monday and a New Month! Don't suppose this is where the window companies came up with 'double hung'?

S. W. Vaughn said...

Ooooh! I love these. They are cute, aren't they? :-)

Bernita said...

And these are only from "D", Karen!

Hmm, seems to me I got in trouble once when I was about six with a version of that song, EA.

Ric! Square balls? Please say no...

I was grinning the whole time, Sonya.

Jaye Wells said...

Like EA, I have a song in my head. However mine is a take-off from the song that goes, "I've got spurs that jingle, jangle, jingle." I'll leave it to your imagination.

Bernita said...

Oh yes...those that claim they clank when they walk, Jaye....

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Bernita! I, er, uh *blush* Oh my! Good morning! Yikes! Where's my fan?

Sela Carsen said...

LOL at Jaye and Bernita!!! Definitely a coffee on the monitor moment!

I love these, er, little tidbits. I'm off to write my erotic romance now. I wonder what the hero has hanging today!

Bernita said...

That fan picture is so sweet, Bonnie, it should be your icon.
All in the interests of authenticity, Girl, you know that.

His head, Sela?
Opps, that sounded really dirty...

Ric said...

Well.......

The ladies are certainly perking up at this morning's topic.

Setting poor Bonnie off like that..

I need to get back to my doodling..er..writing now.

Erik Ivan James said...

Yes, they are cute.

Sela Carsen said...

Which "they" is that, erik? ;)

Bernita said...

Not long hand I hope, Ric...

I'm sure they are, Erik.

My question too, Sela!
~delightful, naughty girl~

Ric said...

Just pecking away. You ladies shouldn't pick on Erik.

Cute in a very interesting adjective - if you ladies would care to enlarge your thoughts.

Bernita said...

I, for one, do not require augmentation, Ric.

Ric said...

That is funny.

Thanks for the giggle.

MissWrite said...

OMG, laughing so hard, especially at doodle-doo and danglers.

Bernita said...

After I did this post, Tami, I found another..."sugar stick" !!!

Robyn said...

Donkey rigged.

Oh.
My.
Goodness.

M.E Ellis said...

Drumstick!

Now that's fair put me orf me chicken.

:o)

Bernita said...

Er...I concur, Robyn.

You have your priorities right, Michelle!

J.H. Bográn said...

Loved this! And to think one of my all-time fiction heroes is Dirk Pitt...it gives the name a whole new perspective, doesn't it?

Bernita said...

Hope it gave to a chuckle, JH.