Monday, September 18, 2006

More Confessions


Questionaires make me giddy. Smart-ass giddy.
If it had been anyone else but the endearing (and devious) Bhaswati, I probably would have pretended I didn't see the tag or made an excuse/an empty promise/lied outright.

1. A book that changed my life: A complete collection of the Works of William Shakespeare. Found in a second-hand shop. I was twelve. It marked me forever as the Official Class Nerd. I was enamoured by the words of an old dead guy rather than the songs/lines of the latest , kool(insert hysterical teeny-groupie screams here) singer/actor.

2. One book you have read more than once: One reason why I hate these things. I have read many, many books more than once. I have collections of favourite writers from all sorts of genres that I binge on periodically. It is anguish to try to pick one. How about Mary Stewart's The Hollow Hills?

3. A book for a desert island: Whoever constructed this meme has caught on. Notice it does not ask what you would like to read ( like a tattooed sailor, or the operating instructions for a motor boat.) I have a pretty good idea on how to build a raft, and basic survival skills, so for idle hours - if there would be such - I would have to say, without apology, the Bible (King James version.)

4. A book that made you cry: Guy Gavriel Kay's The Darkest Road.

5. A book that made you laugh: Kipling's Stalky & Co. Asterix and Obelix as a default.

6. One book you wish had been written: I do not understand this question.
Does it mean a book I am glad has been written? A book that pleases/instructs/entertains/uplifts me? Or a book that I think has a profound value to that vague entity called "society"? Or some book yet-to-be-written that will provide a necessary value to that same vague entity, society? I am too ignorant and too laissez-faire to suggest an example of a crying need of this sort, so I will not go there..

7.One book you wish had not been written: Mein Kampf.

8. A book you are currently reading: Ha! I usually read 3-5 books at once.
The Pagan Christ, The Shining Ones (Eddings), History of the English Speaking Peoples, Arthurian Poets: Arnold and Morris, Writing the Breakout Novel.

9. One book you have been meaning to read: The Time Traveller's Wife - among a thousand others.

This has been exceedingly painful. I am now grumpy.
I cannot understand the ubitiquous desire to reduce things like books to the One Only, the Single Most, the Exclusive.
Humbug.
No tags.

27 comments:

kmfrontain said...

One reason I can't do these questionaires either. Reductions to absolutes make me get headachy. You were very brave, Bernita.

S. W. Vaughn said...

I, too, have been meaning to read The Time Traveller's Wife.

For voracious readers, picking "just one" best, worst, inspirational-est, what have you, is utterly impossible. You did well, given the circumstances! :-)

Bernita said...

Frustrating, Karen. Very.
Thank you.

Thank you, Sonya. Almost threw up my hands.

jason evans said...

It's still nice to peek into your choices, even if the notion of a list is imperfect. :)

Ric said...

The Hollow Hills? I knew you were a special lady - and the fact that you have read it more than once just cements that fact.

Bernita said...

Jason, the lists and choices are deceptive !!

Thank you, Ric ( official Dear Guy)...probably at least a dozen times...

Erik Ivan James said...

~chuckling~
Since my ability to comprehend is minuscule, I think that I have read many books several times. Each reading is like it's a new book.

Bernita said...

Erik, I often read an interesting book three times, even one I may not keep.
Once for plot, once for thought, and now, a third time, from a writer's perspective.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

I hate questionaires, memes, tags and whatever else they descide to name what I can only consider annoying....You're very brave dear heart...LOL...now they've got your number!

Although I did especially like, "A book for a desert island"! Amen to that, it's good to take anywhere...LOL!

Kell said...

An excellent list! I struggled with mine too!

Bernita said...

Yes, my Bonnie, I think so too.
Even writers of erotique might find inspiration in the Song of Solomon "until the day breaks and the shadows flee, I will go to the mountain of myrrh and to the hill of incense."
~just could not resist, Fan Lady~

Thank you, Kell. It is very hard to select.

anna said...

ahh the time traveller's wife
and mary stewart. yep I knew it all along

December Quinn said...

Ugh, I agree. I think it shows a lack of intellectual curiosity to be able to give pat answers to things like this. Yes, I have a favorite book...but there's almost a hundred other books I love and adore, and the margin between them all is so narrow, and I read all different genres, and...blahblahblah.

nessili said...

Asterix and Obelix rule! :-)

Bernita said...

Of course, Anna, but then you are "of the tribe that knows Joseph."
~and don't tell me you never read Montgomery!~

The difficulty, December, is to give a reasonably honest answer to some of them. I suppose many memers jsut pick a title, any title, and have done.

Pure delight, Nessili,... the druid Getafix... the pup Dogmatix...

IM Cupnjava said...

I have way too much fun with these. I don't take them seriously at all. My favorite ones are...

"Where are you from?" Planet Zarnon

"Favorite color?" Clear with a hint to transparent.

"Favorite whatever?" I'm sorry the thought police on Zarnon would jail me for thinking about the answer to this... too late.

Bernita said...

Good for you, IM!
Unless I'm in the right mood, I take them as serious questions, the literal sort that I am.

J.H. Bográn said...

Just loved your answers! Although the book list is obviously a bit different to what I'd post, I love the tagged comments!

Bernita said...

Thank you, JH!
But if I were on a different research jag, some titles might be vastly different.

Robyn said...

Um, confession time...

I'm not sure I want everyone to know what I consider some of my favorite books. *blushing*

EA Monroe said...

Confession is good for the soul. ;-) If I saw the Inquisition coming, I'd run the other way! ha!

Bhaswati said...

At least it gives others a chance to learn about your reading taste. Great answers, Bernita, and not for once am I repentant to have tagged you.

These are just fun exercises, and shouldn't be considered any more. They are not meant to be intellectual workouts.

Thanks for being a sport, Bernita!

Bernita said...

~shocked~
Robyn, not those books.

I didn't run fast enough, EA!

But Bhaswati, they don't exactly reflect my reading tastes - which are catholic to the point of absurdity.
I just can't be frivolous about books too often. They are holy objects, after all!

PBW said...

I've had at least five people send this one to me, and what shouldn't have been written was this meme.

Maybe that's what we need; one of these done about memes: A meme that changed my life: none. One meme you have read more than once: none. A meme for a desert island: God, let me drown instead...

Bernita said...

Your trademark sanity, PBW, thank you.

I cannot understand why anyone would give a sweetdamninhell what I read/have read/will read.

Warning: The next person who "memes" will be hunted down with a chainsaw.

Ballpoint Wren said...

I didn't like the Time Traveller's Wife--more evidence that I have no literary taste. It did have a great SF angle, though.

I ADORED The Hollow Hills, and after I read it I tracked down and read all of Mary Stewart's books in just one or two months (in jr. high). I haven't heard that title name in so long!

The first book I ever read that made me cry was Earless Joe, kind of a Black Beauty for dogs. I can't find it anywhere now.

And I don't like memes, either, unless I decide to do them on my own. Bonnie C has got the right idea about memes.

Bernita said...

Are you sure the title wasn't "Beautiful Joe," Bonnie?
I blubbered.