Friday, September 22, 2006

Breathless Adventures


~Lady's carriage costume, 1827~

Last year as some of you may remember (as you know, Bob) I abjured the pastoral delights of my boonie refuge (humble protagonist) and went to the Big City (setting) for a weekend of sloth, gluttony and Word on the Street (main plot).

I'm going again this year, with my clever and faithful guide, in search of more treasures (quest).

Last year, (backstory)I met the charming and gallant owner of the House of Ananzi who gave me a kiss ( brief romantic sub-plot) and a book by Northrop Frye ( talisman/magical object).

Yes, he was good looking; and yes, I had couth enough to not mention I was a writer (no HEA).

Last year my train home was stalled at Oshawitz because of a derailment (conflict and internal dialogue - a lady does not say WTF out loud).

None of my journey companions would take me up on my suggestion (character development) we hi-jack a bus (magical animal), and my closest companion had gas ( atmosphere).

I arrived home eventually, by taxi, five or six hours late (denouement).

I trust, M'sieur VIA, the same difficulties will not attend my travels this time (exposition). I am prepared, however, with quill and quire.

Dear People, there will be no blog posts until Tuesday, September 26.

26 comments:

kmfrontain said...

Ah, that was a laugh to read. Thanks, Bernita. :D

Have a good time!

Carla said...

Have a good time, and I look forward to reading about your adventures when you get back. You could probably make even an uneventful journey entertaining.

Erik Ivan James said...

The next few mornings without Bernita. Damn!

Bernita said...

Thank you, Karen! Glad you enjoyed it.

Carla, I'd much sooner have your kind of holiday in your kinds of places, but we take what we can get.
Thank you.I don't know whether to hope for "uneventful" or not!

Aww, Erik,... you can always read the pre-January archives....

anna said...

Have fun in the big city Bernita.
also wanted to comment on your graphics - I have no idea why they don't show up on my computer the same day I read your blog - but they don't - the baby one is great!

December Quinn said...

I loled at the little story. Atmosphere indeed!

Have fun...but spare a thought for we lonely readers, making do without you.

Bernita said...

From a painting by James Charles, Anna. Thank you!

It was...um.. rich , December.
I'll have a LOT of catching up to do when I come back.

James Goodman said...

That was a fun read first thing this morning. :D We'll be here when you get back. Have fun!

Marie said...

Have a good time!

jason evans said...

Have a wonderful trip. :)

Ric said...

Off to the big city - ah, country girl seeing all those wondrous sights.

First time I was in Toronto, went to a topless bar - way before provencial Michigan allowed them. Wasn't any big deal - could have been, but our dancer was quite thin.

You strike me as the type of person who would enjoy the scenery on a detour. Go with the flow and enjoy.

Bernita said...

Thank you, James,Marie, Jason, Ric.

Glad it gave you a smile, James.

Hee, Ric, lived there for ten years, but I'll try not to be too much of a yokel.
Not much to see at midnight on the 401,unfortunately.

S. W. Vaughn said...

HA-hahahahahaha!!! This post is BRILLIANT!

Have a blast -- see you when you get back!

MissWrite said...

We will miss you.

I may go into withdrawals.

This post was fun though. Loved your points of reference.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Alas, no Bernita...what to do? What to do?

LOL..at least I won't have to call out the dogs to hunt you down!!

If I remember correctly last year you almost threw your back out carrying a ton of books...I hope you procurred a wheeled carrier this year! Have fun, see ya' Tuesday!

Bernita said...

Thank you,Sonya, Tami.So nice of you.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Eh, Bonnie, dear heart, think that is procured and waiting.
A la prochain!

Dennie McDonald said...

have a great time..... =)

Rachel Vincent said...

Have fun!

alexandra said...

The Lady doth have great wit. Do enjoy what I hope will be a wonderful trip and we look forward to the sequel.

EA Monroe said...

Hi Bernita,
It will be a loooooonnnnngggg weekend & Monday! Wish I was going with you! Have fun. Maybe I will run into Erik in the archives! ;-)

Dakota Knight said...

Bernita, I'm with Erik! Damn!

Looking forward to your return...

Robyn said...

We better not see you on a "Poets Gone Wild" video, young lady!

M.E Ellis said...

Oh have fun! Funny post.

Loved the pic - that era calls to me. I won't blog about it until you come back!

:o)

Cynthia Bronco said...

"Poets Gone Wild," LOL
Please post baby pictures on your return!
P.S. I linked you on my blog today. :)

IM Cupnjava said...

Travel safe!

Gabriele C. said...

Lol, so we've been both away this weekend. Hope you enjoyed yours as much as I did mine.