Thursday, August 10, 2006

Bosom Buddies


Was going to continue my mild tirade on a type of POV omission by moving up.
Decided not to milk that topic for a couple of reasons.
One had a needle stuck into it the other day.
Yesterday I was assaulted by the Russian Lover.
I was glad to get away without resembling a pair of hamburger patties.
Not especially titivating.
So I think I'll shelve that topic instead of getting it off my chest, though I think the male perspective is too often extrapolated into what women would like to think men think.
Men make comparative judgements, as I understand it. They classify according to shape, size, and tilt, but you'd think from reading romances that there's some universal template.

Decided you could keep abreast of these secondary points yourself.

So then I was going to post an excerpt from La Belle Dame to see if you thought I had successfully converted the myth of The Luck of Eden Hall to a possible reality. Ignoring the time travel element, of course.

Excerpts are a great way to focus on particular writing issues, both for the reader and the author, even though the larger and contributing context is missing.

Found on close and critical examination that I had head-hopped at least once in each of the prospective sample scenes. John>Damie>John; Damie>servant>Damie.

Whimpered.

The I fussed over whether I had excluded some necessary historical detail -it's written tight - that would make a knowlegable reader hurl the story in disgust, mutter about parvenu pretenders, and go hunt up an authentic pike or some other pointy thing to skewer me with.
Dithered over designating a minor, one-off character as an "archer" without detailing how Damie knew he was. Did I need to mention an arrow case, a Welsh short bow? Etc.

Threw up hands.

Then I had to go look up how to spell "skewer."

Heard Heathrow is locked down on a terrorist plot.
My daughter may be at Heath on the second dog-leg of her way home out of Kabul.

My mind is on stand-by. I apologize.

UPDATE: My little Eagle has landed. Just got a call. She's down, she's fine. She's home from outremer.
Thank you all for your prayers, good thoughts and best wishes.

26 comments:

Sela Carsen said...

Hope she can get home soon, Bernita! What a day to travel.

I've had blogging days like that, too.

EA Monroe said...

No need to apologize, Bernita! Oh, the trials and tribulations of those pesky "writing issue" decisions! Damned if you do and damned if you don't! Maybe Damie happened to notice the archer (a little detail) as her gaze skimmed through an earlier scene? Or maybe he/she was mentioned being an archer by another character? Or maybe there's something about the archer's stance or body language that's common to archers?

Good luck to your daughter!

Sela Carsen said...

Or maybe, as is the case with Sherlock Holmes, she notices the callouses on his hands or the shiny stripe across the back of his shirt where the quiver rests.

But no. That used to drive me nuts. How can you tell a typist by flat fingertips?

S. W. Vaughn said...

Oh! I hope your daughter is all right -- and I'm glad to hear she is on her way home!

Bernita said...

Thank you.
Seems outward bound is never a problem, Sela, but travelling home...
Last time there was this honking great blizzard.

There's about 17 different ways I could mention to identify him thus, EA, but my question is - do I have to?
Can I just say "an archer?"
I suppose I must mention something, even though it is entirely within her character to make an instant assessment. For the reader's sake I suppose I must mention something, since his appearance is sudden and unexpected.
Makes me grumpy.
Thank you.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Sonya.
Thing is, she may not be on the way home. She may be stuck at Heath with her laptop!

Savannah Jordan said...

Your daughter's safety is in my prayers.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Savannah.
I doubt that she's really at any risk - except from exhaustion and frustration!

Scott said...

My goodness, I hope you are doing ok. I would be worried sick.

Erik Ivan James said...

I suspect your daughter is a very strong and capable person. She's likely taking it all in good stride. My prayers for her safety though.

Flood said...

I hope you'll let us know when she is home safe. After the kisses and hugs, do you have any plans? Celebratory meal?

Bernita said...

Thank you, Scott. I'm fine.
A little anxious, naturally - more over the delay than anything.
One must not let one's imagination run wild or one quickly becomes a basket case.

Erik, thank you.
Just got a delayed e-mail from Heath from an internet kiosk, sent about 4:00 London time.
If they are allowing long-haul flights, she may be in the air.
Her attitude is, quote: "if we let it get to us the bastards win." Said the staff was fantastic.

Thank you, Flood. Her husband will be meeting her. We'll wait the phone call in quiet thanksgiving.
I certainly will!

Rick said...

Even locked down, Heathrow's got to be better than Kabul! All the same, let us know when she is safely home!

On a lighter note, per the topic, I had (but didn't post) a rather tacky and very anachronistic thought when Carla noted in a reply to me that Queen Aethelburh was known as Tata. Though even anachronistically they would surely have been in the plural!

We know that in the 16th century they were duckies - at least Anne Boleyn's were, to Henry VIII. It's been too long since I read Chaucer to remember if he recorded 14th c. slang usage.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Rick.I will.
Since I had seen the word "tats" ( var. of teats?) used once by someone whose vocabulary would be described as low colloquial, I admit I wrinkled my brow over that one, too - as Carla may have intended.
My memory of Chaucer is similarily vague, though he probably used "breasts" with description of same.

kmfrontain said...

Praying for a safe journey for her too, Bernita.

Bernita said...

Know you are, Karen, thank you.
You are all so kind to be concerned.

M.E Ellis said...

Best wishes that your daughter gets home safely.

:o)

M.E Ellis said...

Just had a thought, Heathrow isn't having any flights in or out today. Normal service apparently resumes tomorrow. Heard it on the radio earlier.

:o)

Bernita said...

Thank you for your good wishes, Michelle.
Believe that does not include long-haul flights, except for certain countries.

Robyn said...

Praying for your girl.

Bernita said...

Much appreciate those, Robyn.
She'll be fine, just tired and grungy.
Another flight just landed at Toronto from London, only two hours late, so...

S. W. Vaughn said...

Oh, thank goodness she's safe! So relieved to hear it!

Bernita, I'm not as shameless as I seem, honest! I had just gone about thanking people for their assistance and support, and now there are posts about my acceptance scattered hither and yon...

I thank you for commenting on every one of them! You're so sweet and encouraging. (((hugs))) for that, and for your daughter being okay. And for just being you.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Sonya.
~hugs back~
Nothing "shameless" about it at all, just honest and gracious delight - which we certainly share.
I was just so pleased .
Already made a note to mention it tomorrow.

Sela Carsen said...

Thanks for the update, Bernita. I'm glad she's safe at home.

Ballpoint Wren said...

I'm very happy your girl is home safe. I bet you're getting lots of hugging time in.

Bernita said...

Thank you again, Sela, Bonnie.