Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A Light in the Window


Our divine Miss Snark has been cloned and transgendered.

EVIL EDITOR takes query letters on a new blog and provides red pen massage.

One discovers that aliens can arrive in paragraph four and Tierra Red is not a new strain of apple.

He has also an excellent essay on "What Not to Put in your Query Letter" and some other useful ruminations.

He will take Q and A, too.

Beacon

"Please God, let me make it," he prayed into the night and the rain, fixing his gaze on the pin-point of light half a mile away.

The light that meant warm hands, carbolic and bandages. The light that meant help.

That light, the shimmering bead in the shouting night, the tiny glow that dimmed and refracted in halos before his rain-drenched eyes, he counted to keep him true.

Keep him steady in spite of the pain and the seeping blood.

Keep him away from the laboring, swollen river that shouldered and bit at the bank along his passage, beside his heavy feet.

Sometime in the sodden, staggering journey along the river path, the only path, his prayer changed.

"Please, Lena, please. Please don't douse the lamps."

22 comments:

Erik Ivan James said...

Thanks for the link to EVIL EDITOR. He is a welcome addition to my newly revised "favorites" list. I will put him along side of MISS SNARK.

Erik Ivan James said...

RE "Beacon"
I really appreciate the trasition you make from prayor to God, to prayer to Lena. God to guide him safely to Lena. Lena to wait for his safe arrival.

Ric said...

Good grief! Like I don't lose enough time reading Miss Snark, now there's another one...

When are we supposed to write?

Bernita said...

We need to eat, Ric - this is food.

Thank you, Erik.
The new site looks like fun.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

I went to Evil Editor last night...it looks pretty good. I may submit something! I'll read it for a while!

I like the prose...is this a new story? Wow..Erik you impress me...I had the same thoughts about the transition.

Great job Bernita...is there more?

Bhaswati said...

I can't tell you how much I loved that story of yours, Bernita. It's a winner in my eyes.

Thanks for the great new link too. Looks like a good resource.

Bernita said...

No, Dear Heart, it's just a runt piece of flash.
It's a true story though.

Thank you,kind Bhaswati.Very glad you liked it.
Yes, and it seems he's already assembled a group of "evilites!"

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Runt piece of flash...LOL...that has a cool ring to it! :-)

Dennie McDonald said...

that's all I need - another man to let me down - think I'll pass on evil editor

Bernita said...

S'truth, Bonnie.

Pool boys called in sick, Dennie? I don't think the gender is indicative, yanno.He seems to answer in the same straightforward vein as Miss Snark.

Dennie McDonald said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dennie McDonald said...

I deleted what I said - in too pissy a mood today I guess!

Bernita said...

Dennie, then DON'T read Bonnie's blog today with the post Ric sent her.

Maybe I'll put one one tomorrow about the gender of computers.

kmfrontain said...

What's also intriguing is the transition from visiting evil editor to walking home in ultimate distress looking for the comforting beacon of home. Yup.

Bernita, should I be afraid of evil editor? His name draws shudders already. 0_0

Bernita said...

No, KM, he sounds very fair and helpful from what I've read - and I don't think you, in particular, need to fear editors, evil or otherwise.

Dakota Knight said...

I think Miss Snark and Evil Editor provide an invaluable service to all of us writers trying to make a career doing the thing we love. Evil Editor's comments are so on point! Thanks for the link!

Bernita said...

Absolutely right, Dakota.
They don't HAVE to do this and their information and advice is invaluable.

archer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
archer said...

Maybe you think it's a runt piece o' flash, but all I know is, it's by a flash piece o' mutton.

Bernita said...

Why are you rude, Archer?

archer said...

I meant it as a compliment. It was at best clumsy. My apologies.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Archer.
~bewildered but forgiving~