Thursday, March 16, 2006

Waylander's Song


The light sifts down like dust of gold,
filtered filings from a rasp
that smoothed the sun.

I seek the Smithy
who made the molten mirror
that was the lake at dawn.

This time I found a slab of granite black,
the anvil where he wrought
and hammered out the shapes of things
like autumn leaves.
I spread my pack
above the stone, still warm, and caught
my breath; here lay the proof I sought,
stray flecks of copper, bronze and gold
lay in the rock.

The trees spill down
thin beaten sheets
of bronze and copper leaf,
that shift and rustle around my feet
and strengthen my belief,
that somewhere,
hid in some retreat, or secret grove,
beside some stream meander,
is the blacksmith king, the goldsmith god,
who makes the world I wander.

Belly-bumper, get a: be got with child; low; <19th-20th>Belly-cheat: an apron; about 1600-1830; cant or low slang.
Belly-cheer: food; late 16thc-early 19th; to feast luxoriously or heartily; originally standard > colloquial.
Belly-friend: a hanger-on; 17th-18th c.; coll. verging on standard.
Belly-paunch: a glutton; mid 16th-17th c.; colloquial verging on standard; also belly-gut.
Belly-piece: a concubine, a mistress, a harlot; colloquial; 17th c.; also an apron.
Belly-ruffian: the penis; <17th-19th>Belly-timber; food; from about 1600; in 17thc., standard, then colloquial; in 19th c., slang; in 20th c., an archaism.

22 comments:

Savannah Jordan said...

*sigh*

What a wonderful way to start the day, Bernita!

Thanks you.

Ric said...

I agree with Savannah.

Beautifully done, images are glorious.

Bernita said...

Thank you both.
It's an auld one from the archives.

Erik Ivan James said...

All I had thought to put from pen to paper today just became pale.

Among the blessed few you are.

Bernita said...

Thank you - I hope you meant that simply as a nice compliment, Erik.

Each person's style and perception is different, individual and valid.

One can esaily imagine someone who doesn't like lyric tone or myth-hint saying "ack, ack."

Erik Ivan James said...

"....simply as a nice compliment.."

No, Bernita. A true heart felt and sincere compliment. You have a high "gift".

Dennie McDonald said...

OMG - the opening stanza ... I mean the whole thing is great - but I love that opening stanza!

Sandra Ruttan said...

Beautiful, Bernita. Simply beautiful.

Bernita said...

Thank you, dear people.
~embarrassed but pleased~

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Auld one...LOL...you missed your calling...you should be a writer...LOL

Have you ever thought about writing plays....like the Shakespearian kind for a theatrical company? You're so good at it!

Bernita said...

Thank you, Bonnie.

Nope, never.
Trust me, I wouldn't be good at it. Was in a professional acting company for a short time, and did some extra work later for the CBC, which is as close as I ever want to come to that milieu.

For The Trees said...

Bernita, your poem post is as religious a prayer as I've read in a long time. You really hit the awe of Source squarely.

It's as though all Creation sings in this work.

My deepest thanks.

And don't be dissing it with "It's an old one"... that's like saying your beautiful gown is an old one, just a rag. Stop and accept the compliments, we're reading it for the first time.

I know about that, I have trouble accepting compliments, too. Especially on my writing.

Bernita said...

Oh Forrest, thank you.
You do understand.

archer said...

God, that was lovely.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Archer.
I appreciate that.

ali said...

That coat-hanger makes me feel very sad. I now feel a great urge to go give all my coat-hangers belly-buttons.

And your poem is beautiful :).

jason evans said...

*standing applause*

I'm blown away, Bernita. Spectacular poem!!

Shesawriter said...

Wonderful imagery, Bernita. I loved this. You're such a gifted writer.

Tanya

E. Ann Bardawill said...

Excellent poem, Bernita.

That was way better than my
'Ode to the Big Hairy Scotsman I Found in My Bed After Drinking Too Much The Night Before'*.


* Now an upcoming B movie starring Jessica Simpson as ME
and
Fat Bastard as "the Scot"

Bernita said...

Ali, Jason, Tanya, thank you so much!

Bernita said...

Different...ah...genres, I think Ann.
I'm sure yours is perfectly lovely.

E. Ann Bardawill said...

It's amazing how many things rhythm with the words "Highland Fling."
;-)