Wednesday, December 14, 2005

More Me, Me

8. I've read through the Encyclopoedia Britannica two or three times - but I skipped the chemistry entries.

9. Buy most books second hand - yard sales, library sales, second hand book stores. If I find a new author I like, then I buy new. Cautious that way.

10. Best new discovery - Lee Child and his wandering Walkin' Dude, Jack Reacher. Best example of how to convey backstory by dialogue.

11. Never read more than one third of the books in any given lit course. Hope all my old profs are dead. Proved my undergrad mantra "bullshit baffles brains." Ignored Ulysses.

12. Discovered Sci-fi/Fantasy late. Like and collect Lackey, Norton, Modesitt, Eddings, Moon, Guy Gavriel Kay, etc.

13. Go on re-reading binges of favorites. Re-read Heinlein's "Starship Troopers", "The Little World of Don Camillo," "Dune,"Mary Stewart, Narnia series, the Prydain Chronicles, Ellis Peters (Caedfel), Elizabeth Peters( Amelia Peabody), Rex Stout ( Nero Wolfe), Nevil Shute, Haggard, Oppenheim, Kipling, Heyer, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

14.Flog off extra books: kids, friends, libraries, schools, charities, where ever. Always keep basic reference books.

15. Typically read a new good book three times: first for plot/character and pleasure, second for philosophy, and third for why it works.

I will not "tag" anyone. Feel free.

5 comments:

Sela Carsen said...

I re-read stuff all the time. My dh and my mom never re-read -- I think it's because they're both such slow readers.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Dune....I loved Dune. I had to read it four times to know what the devil was going on. I like the dictionary in the back, explaining the words they made up.

ali said...

I love re-reading. I always enjoy it better the second (or third or fourth) time.

Bernita said...

Some stories/books reveal more of themselves every time you read them.

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on!
» » »