Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A Triskelion of Stereotypes

Stereotypes abound like rubber balls in this industry. They can become useful conventions for quick communication ( genre and sub-genre, which see). Sometimes they are not useful but only convenient hasty-tag excuses. We claim to worship Originality; often the clay feet are ours.

Writers are:
(1)Wannabes,
(2)Hobbyists,
or
(3) Hot.

Agents are:
(1)Predators,
(2)Impatient Vipers,
or
(3)Minor Divinities.

Editors are:
(1)Arrogant Idiots,
(2)Helpless Slaves,
or
(3) Gifts from God.

All this role stereotyping says something about the current state of affairs. I just don't know what.

7 comments:

Sela Carsen said...

Polarization and stereotypes are the result of intellectual laziness. I'm as much to blame as everyone else.

Ric said...

My, aren't we in a wonderful mood this morning?

Most stereotypes are easy excuses for others not giving us what we want or need.

Some combination of two of the characterization is probably closer depending on how long you've been waiting for them to reply.

Bernita said...

We all do it, Sela.
Thing is they can be useful in a practical sorting type of way.Unfortunately they can also be stultifying and ritualistic.

Ric, why did you think I was cranky? It was just an observation. "Moods" are a stereotypical excuse. Thank you for amplifying what I was trying to say.

jason evans said...

I distrust any conviction that people hold too strongly. Usually, the soundness of an idea is inversely proportional to how strongly it is held.

Polarization is probably an outgrowth of greater friction. It's easy to be easy-going when everyone is relatively the same. However, when friction develops between groups and stress rises, one human response seems to be holding one's own view all the more fervently.

AE Rought said...

I agree with Ric as to the combination theory. But, as to your genreal tone, I am in agreement.

I'm just hoping I'm hot... hehehe

Bernita said...

Ae, I hope we're all "hot", each in our own way and style.
I just dislike the rigidity of the classifications I've observed.

Jason, when I was eight I got into an argument with an itinerant minister by stating that the Pharisees couldn't have been ALL bad!Made him wrathy.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

I try not to catagorize people unless I've run into the majority of a class that all have the same qualities! (or faults)

And yes, it was a tiring weekend. Glad to be home and NaNoWriMo-ing