Sunday, October 23, 2005

Context Erotica

One really shouldn't try to walk and chew gum at the same time.
No, really.
Was reading a post "I like sex books and I cannot lie" by AngieW and the following comments over at Romancing the Blog while looking up a reference in Hamlet.
While romance writers were discussing pushing the envelope regarding sex scenes, bondage, S&M and all that, stories that featured sex on page two over character, vanilla vs. explicit, and all the ...ah...ins and outs of this development in the genre -- I found my self reading in Act IV:
"Delay it naught:I'll have him hence tonight...!for everything is sealed and done that else leans on this affair: pray you make haste...if my love thou hold'st at naught - as my great power thereof may give thee sense,
Since thy cicatrice looks raw and red after the Danish sword, and thy free awe pays homage to us - thou may not coldly set our soverign process, which imports at full...Do it...for like the hectic in my blood he rages...til I know tis done..."

Dear me...I have a dirty mind. That was not what Willie intended.
Now I'm tempted, within the context of that discussion, to go re-write the Soliloquy: "To screw or not to screw, that is the question..."

5 comments:

Mark Pettus said...

I think your choice of topics was just fab, I mean, this is awesome, and so insightful.

There, I got all three in one paragraph. Wait, let me change periods to commas... got them all in one sentence.

You have no idea how hard it is to leave that sentence alone and click PUBLISH.

On the topic of how hard it is, I'm afraid the current state of the Danish sword makes a cold shower mandatory.

Fabulous, just Fabulous. Awesome and Insightful. God, you're going to hate having found me.

Ric said...

not sure I can follow Mark, but I suspect (and have for a good many years now) that Willy snuck in a whole bunch more little tidbits than we know - the result of letting repressed teachers decipher the language for us.

Must be getting chilly in the North country - picking this topic to generate a little heat.

Love the ...ins and outs.....

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Coffee....out the nose!Oh my!

Muse said...

Personally, I thought it was hysterically funny. And well written, as always. And true: I seduced several people into reading Chaucer by telling them about the Miller's Tale. I assumed it was Geoffrey's own way of getting people to read about pilgrimages. And perhaps also to silence charges he was plagiarizing from Boccaccio.

Bernita said...

(Trying for a Mae West)I like men who follow me home... I said you were a clever, clever guy, Mark, should have added -dangerous.
Ha! Ric, I still have roses blooming next to my sundial.But you're absolutely right about teachers, remember that they avoided "bucky farteth" (was that Chaucer?)Seems I read one of the early king's favourite expressions was "Mary's tits!" so Willie wasn't being particularly salacious, he was just being authentic about someone taking it up the....oh, never mind.
Bonnie,love, you're just going to have to give up coffee, or we're all going to have to post "warning: not to be read while operating heavy ... keyboard...
Muse, just came across a period illustration of Henry and Thomas a Becket at their meeting at Montmirail - they're depicted giving each other the finger. S'truth!